Tutorials may now use the PNG filetype

Tutorials may now use the PNG filetype for screenshots.

PNG screenshots must be optimized to reduce their filesize to a reasonable size. We suggest either lowering the bit depth when saving the image, or using the OptiPNG plugin.

Excessively large images will be removed and the dimension limitations of "800 pixels at their largest dimension" still applies.

This change has been appended to the Tutorial posting guidelines (see 1b).

Sarkut is the earthly manifestation thereof :mrgreen:

Sarkut is the earthly manifestation thereof :mrgreen:

Agreed!

EER, do you mean we weren't meant to use .PNG for the screenshots? Ooooopps then. I used it for mine. I always save images as .PDN to preserve the layers & .PNG because it preserves the quality. Sticking to the 800 max is easy since any more than that blows my bandwidth far too fast.

Thanks so much for the update.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

...EER, do you mean we weren't meant to use .PNG for the screenshots? Ooooopps then. I used it for mine.

You're forgiven this time.... NO WAIT - where's the ban-hammer?... I sense a rule violation...., :lol:

The change was just asking to be made, so you're safe. I would suggest revisiting the file size of the images and checking there are no 200kb whoppers in there though ;).

o gosh...I've been using png in every tutorial I've made O.O Didn't realize ".gif and .jpg" also meant "no .png". My bad ^^

PS I checked all of them and there are no 200 kb whoppers...1 of the pics was close, but not quite 200 kb. should I optimize it, or I'm I fine?

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

@ Welshy & Noob: If no one has complained then you're probably safe.

It would be nice if you uploaded a smaller=faster image, because everyone likes to save bandwidth. Why don't you run OptiPNG over the current image and let the potential saving guide you about it's replacement?

Note to all: 200kb mentioned above was a figure off the top of my head - don't think that this is an absolute limit. If the filesize of your image can be reduced without compromising the quality of the image then it makes sense doesn't it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Before I go ahead and start writing a tutorial for this:

What ALL of it? Methinks a tut on the background alone would be a winner.

Very cool image Welshy B).