GIF is free !

The GNU license was originally written for the GNU project:

GNU is a free operating system consisting of a kernel, libraries, system utilities, compilers, and end-user applications. Its name is a recursive acronym for "GNU's Not Unix", which was chosen because its design is Unix-like, but differs from Unix by being free software and by not containing any UNIX code.

The GNU license is commonly called the GPL or "General Public License"

The GPL grants the recipients of a computer program the following rights:

the right to run the program, for any desired purpose.

the right to study how the program works, and modify it. (Access to the source code is a precondition for this)

the right to redistribute copies.

the right to improve the program, and release the improvements to the public. (Access to the source code is a precondition for this)

So evanolds released freeware illegally

If you're referring to any animated GIF programs that I’ve written, I wrote my GIF codec from scratch in late 2003, after the LZW patent expired in the U.S.

Other than the link provided, all sources I saw at the time listed only the Unisys patent (where'd this IBM B.S. come from?), and the Unisys one was expired in June 2003. As far as I'm concerned, my programs are legal and have been...

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

So evanolds released freeware illegally

If you're referring to any animated GIF programs that I’ve written, I wrote my GIF codec from scratch in late 2003, after the LZW patent expired in the U.S.

Other than the link provided, all sources I saw at the time listed only the Unisys patent (where'd this IBM B.S. come from?), and the Unisys one was expired in June 2003. As far as I'm concerned, my programs are legal and have been...

I believe Evan is correct. IANAL though.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg