Extracting RGB Values

Hey, I am an astronomer studying globular cluster cor collapse. I am wondering if there is a way to take the RGB values of each pixel to a text file so that I can then import that in an excel document. I have a 640 x 1 bmp file, the details of how I got it are unimportant, but I need to plot the RGB values in a scatter plot. Thanks

finalsig2.jpg

My Humble Gallery

Astronomy Fans group on facebook

I see things, I'm an astronomer

This isn't possible in Paint.NET. It is not designed for image analysis like what you're looking for. (nor can this be properly accomplished with a plugin -- it just isn't designed for anything like this)

You'll have better luck if you ask in, for example, a C# Programming forum.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

The only reason that I am asking is because I could do it by hand via the eyedropper tool and read off the RGB values, and I have done that, but it takes too long. I need a way to automate the process. I understand the Paint.NET is not a program to analyze images, but making it more flexible to be able to do that could bring along more uses. Astronomy is all about taking pictures and changing them into numbers so that one can run a statistical analysis on it. That is what I hope to use Paint.NET for. Besides, I would make a plugin for myself, but I am not well versed in C#, I am more of an LaTeX, HTML, Visual Basic kind of guy.

finalsig2.jpg

My Humble Gallery

All that I am think is something like below:

Rpix1 Gpix1 Bpix1

Rpix2 Gpix2 Bpix2

etc

This would work if the image is either one pixel high and x pixels wide or 1 pixel wide and x pixels high. Separation could be something like a tab or a space or anything that is not contained in the numbers. See below for another example.

102 222 184

194 203 143

143 132 100

003 050 023

Something like that would be perfect.

finalsig2.jpg

My Humble Gallery

I have also provided a solution by way of a standalone app. I guess mcamp14 is spoiled for choice :lol:

@mcamp14: try this FileType plugin and let me know if it suits your purposes.

Hey thanks pyrochild, but there is a problem. When I attempt to save the file, it brings up an error saying: "Saving Not Supported". I appreciate the try, but maybe your dll filetype plugin is not compatible with 3.5.1

finalsig2.jpg

My Humble Gallery

Hey thanks pyrochild, but there is a problem. When I attempt to save the file, it brings up an error saying: "Saving Not Supported". I appreciate the try, but maybe your dll filetype plugin is not compatible with 3.5.1

There's a bug in Paint.NET involving load-only filetypes. Remove any load-only filetype plugins from Paint.NET, and it should work. If you're not sure which ones are load-only, you can remove all of them. Just put them in a temporary folder and put them back when you're done.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

• 2 weeks later...

There's a bug in Paint.NET involving load-only filetypes. Remove any load-only filetype plugins from Paint.NET, and it should work. If you're not sure which ones are load-only, you can remove all of them. Just put them in a temporary folder and put them back when you're done.

I appreciate your help, but EER has got me covered in the stand-alone executable.

finalsig2.jpg

My Humble Gallery