Applying Layers

Is there instruction on applying layers? Please?

I select the base layer from the thumbnails but how do I then select the next layer (capa 2)?

If I have an image of an aquarium with only water in it and that is my base (fondo) layer, how do I make the thumbnail of a fish the top layer (capa 2) so it appears to be "in " the aquarium? And then move the fish layer to place the fish where I want it to be?

Edited by Garrymo
another thought

1 hour ago, Garrymo said:

I select the base layer from the thumbnails but how do I then select the next layer (capa 2)

And then move the fish layer to place the fish where I want it to be?

To select a layer, i.e. make it the active layer you just click on it in the Layers window. This is explained in the Documentation, which you have been advised to read in answers to other questions you have asked. https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithLayers.html 

To move a layer's contents you use the Move Selected Pixels tool as is explained in the Tools -> Move Tools section of the Documentation https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MoveTools.html 

You keep asking pretty basic paint.net usage questions, which people answer for you - but you don't then appear to help yourself further by reading the Documentation, watching YouTube how to videos, searching the forum, reading the Beginners Tutorials https://forums.getpaint.net/forum/20-beginner-tutorials/ 

If you have done all that and are genuinely still stuck, then please ask again, and explain where you are getting stuck.

how do I make the thumbnail of a fish the top layer (capa 2) so it appears to be "in " the aquarium

Making a picture of a fish have the appearance of being behind glass and in water is more advanced. You will find techniques that you can apply in the Tutorials section of the forum. But you really do need to work on learning the basics of using paint.net first.

• Upvote 1

@Garrymo you can find simple videos on YouTube to help you.  Just 'search' for:  How to add layers in paint.net.

This is an example of how I started to make my Aquarium signature.

1.  Start with a background image.
2.  Import your pre-made fish/rocks/plants.
3.  The above imports from your computer, will automatically appear on a new layer.
4.  Keep adding your images and resize them accordingly.

acquarium-layers.png

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my "problem": I live in Mexico where paint.net downloads in Spanish. The instruction sheets you hold in such high esteem are in English. I speak basic Spanish but to relate the English instructions to the actual screen in Spanish is almost impossible. I read in English the step I need to take but on the screen there is no correlation e.g  "select the canvas size" but on the screen there is no "canvas" to select and nothing in Spanish that translates to "canvas" (lona?  cuadro?? neither!)  I've tried at least a dozen times to re-download paint.net. and I select English at the prompt every time but the download always ends up in Spanish.

Anyhow, I give up. I thought the forum would be a friendly place where I could ask a simple question and get a direct, helpful answer instead of condemnation for being an ignorant idiot. The attitude of the moderator is so "holier-than-thou"!

So, I guess, thanks for nothing except a lot of frustration and dead ends. Paint.net seems to be a valuable tool but I guess until I can get to an English-speaking country and try for a new download paint.net is just out of my reach.

And now, when I try to submit this I get the message: That email address is in use by another member. Do you need to reset your password?

And then get taken to a new screen to start all over again! What a time-wasting, screwed up place to try to get information from! 

You do sound very frustrated @Garrymo as would I, if I was trying to use paint.net in Spanish 😁

Surely there must be way for you to download paint in English?

Perhaps try downloading it from the offline installer, found here:  https://github.com/paintdotnet/release/releases/tag/v5.0.13

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Here is my "problem":

So, I guess, thanks for nothing except a lot of frustration and dead ends. Paint.net seems to be a valuable tool but I guess until I can get to an English-speaking country and try for a new download paint.net is just out of my reach.

Or, if you had looked at the Documentation (in English) you would have seen how to easily change the paint.net language.

Or, if you had told us that you were 'stuck' with paint.net in Spanish, then we could have helped you switch to English in January, when you first posted on the forum.

I thought the forum would be a friendly place where I could ask a simple question and get a direct, helpful answer instead of condemnation for being an ignorant idiot.

I did not say that.

What I said, after reading your previous questions was:

On 3/7/2024 at 1:39 PM, Tactilis said:

You keep asking pretty basic paint.net usage questions, which people answer for you - but you don't then appear to help yourself further by reading the Documentation, watching YouTube how to videos, searching the forum, reading the Beginners Tutorials https://forums.getpaint.net/forum/20-beginner-tutorials/ 

If you have done all that and are genuinely still stuck, then please ask again, and explain where you are getting stuck.

We try to make it as easy as possible. As @toe_head2001 and @Pixey have explained, you can change the language in the Paint.net settings.

The paint.net documentation can also be translated:

pdn-spanish.png