How keep the clipboard memory of later steps after I go back to take a copy

Hi,

I was photoediting an image and had applied around 8 effects in a row to get a desired look. Then, in order to compare the last effect with a previous one, I used ctrl+z to go back to step 5 and take a copy of the image there and pasted it on a new canvas. But now PDN has forgot about my 8th effect, it only remembers up to the 5th effect (ctrl+y don't go to 8th). Is there a clipboard with all steps or can I erase the latest copy-step to get back the previous PDN clipboard memory for my 8th step-effect image? It also of course forgot step 6 and 7. I can take a screenshot to avoid this but the image quality will probably not be like original.

Edited by frer8833

• frer8833 changed the title to How keep the clipboard memory of later steps after I go back to take a copy
25 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

No. Just keep a copy of your original image open in another tab. 

If you mean the original image which has not yet any effects applied to it (the open-file-image?), I can have an extra copy of it in my folder just in case.

I mean PDN forgets all the later steps I took if I go back and press ctrl+copy or make any other thing to the image (apply color, draw with pencil etc). Again, let's say If I have applied 50 effects, the PDN remembers this as 50 steps which I can go back and forth to by using ctrl+z or ctrl+y. If I want to compare the image at step 45 with what it looked like on step 15 and I go back to step 15 and do anything to the image (ctrl+copy etc) then PDN forgets all the steps from 16 to 45, in other words I lose most of the progress as I can't compare for example step 25 with 35, 30 with 40 or 18 with 29 etc.

Maybe PDN should make a clipboard memory for all steps taken or is there such a plugin available? I can do screenshot of for example what an image looks like after having applied 15 things to compare but the screenshot image is not full quality and it's not good to apply effects on it.

I realized I can save it as "save as" and then open the new saved file in a new tab to compare.

Edited by frer8833

3 minutes ago, frer8833 said:

Maybe PDN should make a clipboard memory for all steps taken

Which would gobble up more memory than exists

Sorry, but this just isn't how things work, and it won't be changing

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

When I want to go back without losing my latest version, I copy the latest version, paste it somewhere else, then undo. But if you really need to put all of your steps in memory, you can copy the canvas for each step, then press Win+V to see your clipboard history.

jK7P81Y.png < My gallery

12 hours ago, frer8833 said:

I mean PDN forgets all the later steps I took if I go back and press ctrl+copy

No it doesn't. Copying does not change the current layer, so there is no change (or addition) to the History.

12 hours ago, frer8833 said:

......or make any other thing to the image

Correct (you can change the Primary & Secondary colors & View conditions for e.g.). Actions which change the active layer remove later items in the History. This is like the Grandfather Paradox of time travel, where travelling back in time and making changes alters the current reality.