Suggestion: Сonvert ".exe" to ".ico"/".png"

Go to solution Solved by null54,

• Solution
34 minutes ago, Prorok said:

Ability to open ".exe"/Shortcut files as pictures. But without the ability to change the ".exe" file let them manually replace the icon according to the standard.

There is a plugin to open and save Windows icon files, but you have to extract the icon from the .exe file using a separate tool.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Not sure I understand what the OP is trying too do or why but it sounds as if he's talking about extracting icon files from .EXE. If so then the program I use for that is Resource Hacker.

A lot of anti-virus/malware will flag it as suspicious or worse but I've found it very useful particularly when I want to replace an .EXE's icon. That usually occurs when a software developer updates an icon and it looks awful. You can use it to replace whole icon groups hidden within the .EXE, not just its main display icon. That can, usually, be replaced more easily using Windows right mouse click context menu > Properties. 

Where does PDN come into this? Well that's what I use for creating my own icons and icon groups saving them using the Icons (*.ico) plugin. I have used a trial version of a professional dedicated icon creation graphics program and although that had far more options than you get with PDN ultimately it is the picture quality that matters.

What I've found is that with most simple icon designs PDN is not just adequate for the uses/display resolutions I use it is indistinguishable in practice from those made by that dedicated icon creation tool.

Here's an icon (group) I made using PDN a long time ago for Speedfan a PC fan speed monitoring tool:-

SpeedfanIconGroup.png.5da48ba7aa65061d8774359bda569c1b.png    

IHaveNoName.png

As @null54 pointed out, you can just use a separate tool for this. I’m not adding this to Paint.NET. A plug-in is possible, but really this is already something you can accomplish.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg