Fantasy Map Making Tutorial

I have been searching for a specific tutorial that I used in the past and now I can not seem to find it. 

I am making a realistic(ish) fantasy map. I remember in the tutorial, I used "render, clouds tool" a few times in different layers with different seeds and then removed the white layer portion of each layer. 

That is all I can remember from the video. (If it was a video... I can't remember.... 😞 )

Now I started a new map and now I can not seem to find the tutorial anywhere. I was hoping someone here could help point me in the right direction. I appreciate it in advance!

There isn't one in there that is it, but the old map does have the cloud portion it seems. 

The one I'm looking for has water, land outline that's a brighter blue (shallow water). The map is outlined. 

There's snow / green desert on the land masses. 

Then I modified it my own way and tinkered.

There's an error with the plug-in. 

Super long error, can't upload images. 

Starts off

'could not load file or assembly 'paintdotnrt.core, etc. 

On 12/2/2022 at 6:23 AM, ReMake said:

Perhaps these links will help you:

I tried to download the relief map generator and it's not showing up in my paint dot net. Downloaded the dll, and dragged it into effects.  Reopened paint dot net and it's no where ti ve seen....

7 hours ago, Kronos said:

I tried to download the relief map generator and it's not showing up in my paint dot net. Downloaded the dll, and dragged it into effects.  Reopened paint dot net and it's no where ti ve seen....

It should be in Effects > Render (under R for Relief Map...)

If it is not there, check the Settings for plugin errors.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:27 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

It should be in Effects > Render (under R for Relief Map...)

If it is not there, check the Settings for plugin errors.

Ya I found it. After I fixed the issue. PDN needed updating. Odd it didn't send me a notification. 

Now I can't figure out how to make a my own map using the mask. 

Can someone give a step by step? Because it just says use mask. 

If PDN didn't notify you about the update, then either 1) you were using an extremely old version that stopped checking for updates, or 2) you have the auto-checking disabled. Jump over to Settings (gear icon at top right of main window) -> Updates and then double check that the first checkbox is enabled.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

33 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

If PDN didn't notify you about the update, then either 1) you were using an extremely old version that stopped checking for updates, or 2) you have the auto-checking disabled. Jump over to Settings (gear icon at top right of main window) -> Updates and then double check that the first checkbox is enabled.

Awesome. Ya it was just the last version prior to this one. 

Do you know how to use the map render mask? *how to make your own map, not rendered* 

Basically I am designing a map from scratch. Outlined. It's a silhouette at the moment. Try to see if this relief map generator can edit the map. Which would be best in my opinion.  But I can't seem to figure out how to do the mask portion. (Make your own shape) 

On 12/10/2022 at 10:22 AM, Kronos said:

But I can't seem to figure out how to do the mask portion. (Make your own shape) 

See the thread where you downloaded Relief Map Generator (link above). There is a discussion & mini tut a few posts in: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/120809-relief-map-generator/?do=findComment&comment=600506. Basically, you can use Alpha as the mask. Anything opaque gets the map treatment, anything transparent gets ignored (and is rendered as 'sea').

Edge-demo1.png >>> Edge-demo2.png

On 9/11/2022 at 12:44 AM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Here's a plugin I've been tinkering with for years. It makes simple maps at the touch of a few buttons.

RMG-Demo.jpg

If you want a specifically shaped map, you can use transparency to mask the land & sea.

RMG-Alpha-Demo.jpg

The code is not all my own. I'll ask for permission to post it.

Comments &/or critiques welcomed :)

ReliefMapGenerator.dll 18.5 kB · 55 downloads

14 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

See the thread where you downloaded Relief Map Generator (link above). There is a discussion & mini tut a few posts in: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/120809-relief-map-generator/?do=findComment&comment=600506. Basically, you can use Alpha as the mask. Anything opaque gets the map treatment, anything transparent gets ignored (and is rendered as 'sea').

Edge-demo1.png >>> Edge-demo2.png