Layer Masks

Paint.net is great and, with many plug-ins, I can do just about anything that I could do in Photoshop.  One feature that is lacking however, which would be of tremendous benefit to users, would be the addition of Layer Masks.  This would, for example, enable users to blend bracketed photos simply.  It is a feature found in many photo editors (e.g. GIMP).

Use Alpha Mask:

Alternatively, BoltBait's PasteAlpha does the same thing.

Gimp and Photoshop's layer mask are non-destructive while Paint.NET's masking approach is destructive. Whenever using either Alpha Mask or Paste Alpha, make sure to duplicate the original object.

13 hours ago, Brittw said:

One feature that is lacking however, which would be of tremendous benefit to users, would be the addition of Layer Masks. 

I asked Rick about this quite a while ago. At the time Rick explained that adding layer masks would break existing PDN files (not something he was willing to entertain).

Layer masks require extending the .PDN file format. That's not on the table until PDN v5, along with several other features. Doesn't mean alpha masks are coming in v5, just means it becomes possible to start talking about it at that time.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg