How to outline faces from a photo.

Hi

I want to be able to create an image, from a photo of several people, which has only the OUTLINE of their faces so that I can insert identification info (numbers or maybe name initials) for identification purposes. This would then be supported by an associated ID table with the names and details of all the people in the photo.

This is for use in Family History files so that others can easily identify their relatives which they have no other chance of doing.

This would be so helpful - I have not yet found any easy of providing this info. without lots of messing about and untidy results.

Can paint.net do this?

I am using MS W10 and also have MS Office 2007 available (but no other added photo apps except ArcSoft MediaImpression) on a laptop if that has any relevance.

I really hope for a positive reply.

Thanks, Charlie

Hello @Charlie FH and welcome to the forum :)

Do you have an example image of what you are trying to do?  It would enormously helpful for us to see one. 

You can post images on IMGUR or Postimages.org then copy the Direct link from Postimages, or use the last 7 digits of the IMGUR code and open the little green box, with the green dot, found in the toolbar, and add the code to that.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

@Charlie FH, don't be surprised if a moderator renames your topic title. In this forum we prefer topic titles to be descriptive of the content subject in order to facilitate future searches and reference.

----------------

If I understand you right, you'd like to achieve something like this example:

2kkwwvF.png

If this is what you want, or something similar:

1. With a copy of the photograph as the background layer, create a new layer above and set your primary colour to white.

2. Use the Paintbrush to paint over the person furthest from the camera (i.e. the person furthest in the background). Try to keep to the general shape of the person but there's no need to be very accurate.

3. Use @BoltBait's Outline Object plugin to outline your white shape with a black outline.

4. Create new layers, one for each person in the photograph, and repeat steps 2 and 3 for each person. Work on all persons in order back to front, so your topmost layer is of the person closest to the camera.

5. Add a new layer above and add your index for each person. Name, number, initials, whatever suits you. 

6. Add a new layer just above the background layer but below all other layers and fill it with black.

* Save your image as .PDN, then flatten and save as .PNG.

Xkds4Lh.png

• Pixey changed the title to How to outline faces from a photo.

Hi

I have had 2 responses to my original post on this subject and one (from Djisves) gave a very significant solution. However it is a bit cumbersome for my work because of the need to do the same functions repeatedly for each person and I have many people in a given photo.

My original post is repeated below...

Hi

I want to be able to create an image, from a photo of several people, which has only the OUTLINE of their faces so that I can insert identification info (numbers or maybe name initials) for identification purposes. This would then be supported by an associated ID table with the names and details of all the people in the photo.

This is for use in Family History files so that others can easily identify their relatives which they have no other chance of doing.

This would be so helpful - I have not yet found any easy of providing this info. without lots of messing about and untidy results.

Can paint.net do this?

I am using MS W10 and also have MS Office 2007 available (but no other added photo apps except ArcSoft MediaImpression) on a laptop if that has any relevance.

I really hope for a positive reply.

Thanks, Charlie

Does anybody have an alternative solution?

(I am new to this so please excuse any bad ways of working in the Forum).

Thanks, Charlie

Honestly, I think the solution given is probably the best unless you're willing to accept a generic shape. You can find plenty of shapes here https://forums.getpaint.net/forum/48-shapes/, but none will match the photo with anything like the accuracy @Djisves achieved.

<I've merged the two threads>