Text+ and Text Window Installed Fonts Missing From Menu

I've often been mildly annoyed at PDN Text font size options gap between 48pt and 72pt and usually just resize the font layer when I need an intermediate size .

But I thought there must be a plugin to make it simpler and found both the Text+ and Text Window plugins offer very much what I was looking for and more.

However I found that the font I was using in the main PDN Text font list was not being offered in either plugin. When I compared the fonts listed by the plugins and the PDN main font list I noticed other missing fonts both those listed by the plugins and PDN itself. I include a screenshot showing one small section of the PDN fonts list on the left and the equivalent Text Window plugin on the right. There are plenty of other cases these are just examples.

The missing fonts on each side are underlined in red. Walrus Bold and Warownia in the main list are missing from both the plugins' font list whilst Vrinda, which the plugins both display, is missing from the main PDN list.

Initially I thought it was a TTF /OTF thing but it isn't there are both types displayed/missing in both menu lists. Access permissions don't appear to be the cause of the problem either. Vrinda is a default hidden font, presumably because it is used by the OS system or some other 'important' program. But there are examples of similarly hidden fonts appearing in both lists and others which only display in one list but not the other like Vrinda but in the PDN font list rather than the plugins.

In short: I can see no common factor in any case except that both the plugins appear to display identically to each other.

Any explanation as to why this is happening and any solution appreciated.

screenshot.2.jpg.a0587db4a62e1da475340345be60fec6.jpg

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png

3 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

I've often been mildly annoyed at PDN Text font size options gap between 48pt and 72pt and usually just resize the font layer when I need an intermediate size .

Type in any value. The size box will even accept decimal points.

REF: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/TextTool.html#4

You live and learn. Thanks for that. I've only been using PDN for 8+ years and had no idea you could do that. 😳

Any ideas about the other matter: why the PDN Text font list and those plugins mentioned do not displaying the full installed system Fonts collection and differ from one another too?

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png

On 2/19/2019 at 12:46 AM, IHaveNoName said:

those plugins mentioned do not displaying the full installed system Fonts collection and differ from one another too?

It's filtering out fonts that don't support every font style.  Just a way to prevent GDI+ from potentially crashing with incomplete fonts.

https://github.com/toehead2001/pdn-text-window/blob/master/TextWindow/TextWindow.cs#L216

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

<Moved to Paint.NET Discussion & Questions>

Paint.NET uses DirectWrite, and that plugin is almost certainly using GDI+. They have different typography systems, so there are going to be differences between them. DirectWrite, for instance, doesn't support bitmap fonts like Terminal. I don't know what Vrinda is, but maybe it's a bitmap font.

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

So a user just can not use certain font types with those text plugins, just about understood .

It was actually the Warownia font I was most interested in using, an open source font family very similar to Helvetica and, for the purpose intended, a pretty much perfect alternative.

I've since found other Text Formation plugins that have specific font support issues including xod's Circular Text and toe_head2001's own Text Window. Circle Text, Rotate Text, Rotate TextSUI and Spiral Text however are OK with more fonts or at least one of the fonts I could use for the project that prompted this thread.

However I've also discovered that even the latter plugins mentioned do not support some fonts which PDN's Text options do support like Walrus Bold from my previous screenshot examples. None at all support fonts like OPTIRussian-Gothic (another Helvetica alike), and others with the OPTI prefix.

From the information provided here (thanks) there is obviously more than just one reason a particular font may not be supported by a particular plugin or indeed by PDN itself.

In short there is nothing that can be done about it. Knowing that is actually helpful because it means that if you are creating an image that requires a particular font or particular text effect you have to make alternative provision for the font's incompatibility with those plugins in the design.

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png