.TGA images get saved as .PDN

Every time I try to save a .tga image it gets saved as .pdn. This problem was submitted a few times already but no working solution was proposed.

What I tried already:

- Flattened the image (although it already had only 1 layer);

- Saved the image by choosing "Save as", selecting .tga from the drop down menu, setting image configuration;

- Updated Paint.net to the latest version;

- Tried every other available picture format option (all of them worked);

- Removed all transparency from the image;

- Tried typing the extension myself;

I would really appreciate a solution because I don't want to save images as .png and then use an external converter.

P.S. I use TARGA because that is the format which my game uses for sprites (mainly because reading a PNG file is unnecessarily complicated).

I was able to save a TGA just now with no problem

Are you saying that the file name has .PDN at the end? Or it does end in .TGA but the file itself, when inspected with a hex editor, is obviously a .PDN file? (first 4 bytes should be 'PDN3')

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Just tried this on Windows 8.1.

Saved a .jpg as .tga

Saved file shows in File explorer as .tga under the heading 'paint.net Image' (with the Paint.net icon displayed). Not with with the .pdn images which are under the heading 'PDN File' and displaying the image.

I'm not sure of what witchcraft a hex editor is, but I downloaded one and opened the .tga file. No sign of 'PDN3' anywhere.

2018-08-27 18_23_26-COLLECTION  1.jpg

TV Avatar 500 x 150 DALEK 2  .png

I just saved an image to a .tga format without any trouble. 

The only thing was that to view the resulting image, as a photo/image, is that I had to go to properties - details and then chose Paint.net for it to view properly.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Indeed, Pixey. Not a problem converting to .tga, but a slight hiccup with finding the file once it is saved.

With my OS, a .jpg converted to .tga with IrfanView  also goes to 'paint.net Image' heading. Even with the default app set as IrfanView.

Not an issue, but I wonder why the 'paint.net Image ' heading when, clearly, Paint.net isn't involved.

2018-08-27 18_23_26-COLLECTION  2.jpg

2 hours ago, GillFelis said:

Not an issue, but I wonder why the 'paint.net Image ' heading when, clearly, Paint.net isn't involved.

It shows "Paint.net Image" because paint.net is the app associated with the *.tga file format on your system. Your files are not being re-saved or in any way manipulated.

More >> https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-file-associations-windows

It shows "Paint.net Image" because paint.net is the app associated with the *.tga file format on your system.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Your files are not being re-saved or in any way manipulated.

I didn't think for one second that they were.