[Wishlist] New Layer from Visible

As I was trying to use Paint.NET for glitch art, there's a small idea that would improve the functionality of Paint.NET. Instead of having to use keyboard shortcut, or having to use multiple click, I would suggest implementing a one-click approach as it would improve Paint.NET. Right now, 3-step isn't much, but it can really stack up when it comes to having to use 50+ layers for example.

New Layer from visible is basically 1-step version of copy merged and paste into new layer.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

Ctrl + Shift + C, Ctrl + Shift + V is so easy. I don't think you're going to get any traction asking for that to be simplified.

6 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Ctrl + Shift + C, Ctrl + Shift + V is so easy. I don't think you're going to get any traction asking for that to be simplified.

It's easy, but if you're working with 100+ layers requiring duplicates of visible data, it'd be less fatiguing to have a one shortcut that does that in comparison with two. I sometimes have worked with 500+ layers on other programs, and small improvement to improve that sort of workflow is always appreciate-able. Plus, not everybody have functional motor skills meaning it would be a lot harder for them to use to do that, but that's another topic for another day.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

Normally I might be more sympathetic, but Ctrl+Shift+C, Ctrl+Shift+V is so easy. Hold down Ctrl+Shift, then hit C followed by V. C and V are even next to each other. (If such a feature were added, perhaps it could use Ctrl+Alt+D. I don't think that combination is used, and it parallels Ctrl+Shift+D for Duplicate Layer.)

56 minutes ago, MJW said:

Normally I might be more sympathetic, but Ctrl+Shift+C, Ctrl+Shift+V is so easy. Hold down Ctrl+Shift, then hit C followed by V. C and V are even next to each other. (If such a feature were added, perhaps it could use Ctrl+Alt+D. I don't think that combination is used, and it parallels Ctrl+Shift+D for Duplicate Layer.)

For softwares that have this features, I assign the shortcut Shift+V to duplicate from visible. It's a little easier on my hand. I do find it a little uncomfortable to hold cntrl+shift, and move the finger from c to v (this is the part that makes it uncomfortable while holding down). Comfort is another reason for this idea.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

Try this: Use your left pinky to hold down both Ctrl and Shift at the same time. Your left index fingertip should drop naturally on C or V depending on your hand size. It's then quite easy to push first C then V for the desired result.

1 hour ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Try this: Use your left pinky to hold down both Ctrl and Shift at the same time. Your left index fingertip should drop naturally on C or V depending on your hand size. It's then quite easy to push first C then V for the desired result.

It requires significantly more force on the pinky finger (if you're on a thick keyboard), but feels more natural than having to use 2 finger for cntrl+shift. To be honest, besides autohotkey, there isn't a real solution on my end.

G'MIC Filter Developer