"Free Form" Gradients

Hello all, and thank you in advance for your patience. 

I recently downloaded Paint.net so that I could make parts of images around the subject fade to transparent. I have been trying to understand the gradient tool, but I'm obviously not using it correctly and I am officially getting frustrated with the program so I am turning to you all for help. 

Below is a sample picture that I wish to edit. 

http://imgur.com/a/8ss9H.png

What I would like to do is to make the right side and bottom of the image fade to transparent past the red line, as I have indicated here: 

http://imgur.com/a/x9g7o.png

I have tried making a new layer to the picture and applying a gradient, but I can never seem to get it how I want. Half the time, the gradient doesn't even seem to be working because I can drag my cursor all over the image and no changes seem to happen. I have tried watching and replicating what one or two video guides do, to no avail. And none of them attempt to do the kind of thing I am doing, so I am starting to think that perhaps this isn't something that paint.net can actually do. 

I would really appreciate any assistance or tips that you could provide. I don't have the patience to spend 6-8 hours figuring out how to do this through trial and error without some targeted guidance. 

Thank you.

They still do not work for the rest of us. Try dragging those files to the clipboard icon area just under the editing textbox (for attachments), then click each attached image to visibly include it in the message.

It sounds like you're asking about how to make a transparency gradient. Set the primary and secondary colors to have no alpha (fully transparent), then set the gradient tool to transparency mode and draw gradients.

How to set transparency mode for the gradient tool

transparencyMode.png.5581dd96279e966bb25578e728c1589b.png

Making both colors fully transparent (for full-strength with the transparent mode)

BothColorsTransparent.png.982dc043bf2d223ed822efd97c3facc9.png

Drawing a gradient

transparency.png.a4de2cd66db589bca655391709964224.png

Edited by Joshua Lamusga

I realize the issue, but now imgur is over capacity and I can't fix it just yet. 

In the mean time, I'll try to paint a picture with my words. 

I have a picture of a man pointing. I want to make the entire right side past and below where he is pointing completely transparent, as well as the bottom of the image, that way the image seems to simply emerge from the coloured background of the document I'm placing the image into, as opposed to there being a clear line where the image stops. 

What I've been trying to do is use the gradient tool with everything set to transparent (including the gradient type). Unfortunately, what ends up happening is that the part of the image that has the checkerboard pattern indicating that it is transparent instead is white when I save the image. I don't want it white, I want it no colour. I want it to let me see what's below the image. 

Edited by Arcanus
corrected a typo caused by a wayward crumb under one of my keys

Here is the image I am trying to edit: 

J87j5PB.jpg

Here is the red line I mentioned in my first post showing the point past which I want the image to be totally transparent: 

MkJhKTu.jpg

Here is what happens when I use the gradient tool and it actually works (as opposed to doing nothing): 

aqXygiq.jpg

All the parts that are white I want to be grades of transparency, down to full transparency. 

You might be merging the layers down if you have a white layer below, since you can't preserve layer information when saving to a regular picture format. Any layers that would be visible are left visible when saving.

Example.png.7c99fd89d273393210f5eefbe0adfac0.png

If you can view the transparency up until you save the image, you might be saving it in 24-bit mode. There are 4 channels in common use (RGBA) describing red, green, blue, and alpha, each of which take 8 bits to store. 24-bit images only have red, green, and blue, in which case Paint.Net mixes transparent pixels with white to make them opaque, creating the exact same look as the image you have above. When saving the image, ensure that you're saving for 32 bits.

Stuff.png.4cd6fb480950c32e74ce08e94521cac5.png

Edited by Joshua Lamusga
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, welshblue said:

On the transparent gradient point ... You may have more control using a radial gradient set to transparency mode rather than a linear gradient.  Right click on the mouse and make small 'nibbles' at the part you want to fade

Daft question possibly but are you saving as PNG to preserve transparency ?

Good idea for the radial gradient. 

Daft answer: Nope, I did jpg. I'm an idiot. Thank you for pointing out the .png part. Somehow I forgot that jpeg doesn't do that. 

Edited by Arcanus

Layers > Import from file.

Alternatively, add a new layer and copy + paste into the new layer.

In both cases, make sure the new layer is below the existing one (you can drag it or use the Down arrow at the foot of the Layers window).

• Like 2

For that type of effect, I think you should try BoltBait's Paste Alpha. You can create a greyscale mask of the area you want to be transparent, then paste it in as alpha.

The advantage is that Paint.NET has more tools and effects for creating greyscale masks than for altering transparency. For example, you can paint the initial mask with the Paintbrush, then soften the edge with blurs.

If you set a layer above the image layer to white, and set the layer's Blend Mode to Multiply, you should be able to get a feeling for its effect on the transparency as you darken the areas that will be transparent. Or to better match the example you gave, set the initial mask to black, and use the Additive Blend mode. The transparent regions would be lightened. (Use the Paste Alpha's Invert Calculation option in that case.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arcanus said:

Here is the image I am trying to edit: 

J87j5PB.jpg

Here is the red line I mentioned in my first post showing the point past which I want the image to be totally transparent: 

MkJhKTu.jpg

Here is what happens when I use the gradient tool and it actually works (as opposed to doing nothing): 

aqXygiq.jpg

All the parts that are white I want to be grades of transparency, down to full transparency. 

Hello, I remembered a tutorial written by Rick Brewster, and after hunting around in the Tutorials subforums, I found the tutorial.  It gives you the basic idea of manipulating the image by using gradient transparency blending.  https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/12184-fading-blending-gradient-tool-on-a-camaro-picture/

• Like 1