Move Selection without using the mouse or the arrow keys?

I noticed that when a selection is present, the bottom-left corner of Paint.Net tells me the info of the selection box which looks like this:

Selection top left: 111, 31. Bounding rectangle size: 153 x 150. Area: 22,950 pixels square

I mention this because I've been using a combination of the Rectangle Select, Magic Wand and Move Selection tools a lot lately and I feel that there's gotta be a way for this to go faster.

So is there a way (either built-in or with a plugin) to quickly/instantly move and/or resize the selection box, regardless if you're using :MoveTool: or :MoveSelectionTool:?

For example, I have a selection I created on one side of the image (Selection top left: 512, 36) but I now want to move it all the way to the other side and since I know exactly where I want it to go because I already know the coordinates of the location (Selection top left: 3936, 36), I can do (whatever the solution is) to do it very quickly instead of using the mouse or the arrow keys to move it.

So, is this possible at the moment (built-in/plugin-wise) or is this something that can be done in the future?

Interesting thoughts NeoSpearBlade.
Plugins are not allowed to change the selection they are 'given'.

I do not know if a numerical input for Selection Top Left and Rectangle size would be possible or practical - I suspect it could cause more problems than it would solve?

Using Ctrl + the keyboard arrows moves selections 10 pixels at a time btw.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I can do (whatever the solution is) to do it very quickly instead of using the mouse or the arrow keys to move it.

I guess you could always duplicate the selection - Go to Layers - Flip Horizontally - then merge down.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Plugins are not allowed to change the selection they are 'given'.

So plugins can't change those values but they are still readable apparently.

I do not know if a numerical input for Selection Top Left and Rectangle size would be possible or practical - I suspect it could cause more problems than it would solve?

I've been using Paint.Net for a long time (since v3.20). That said, I'm mostly unaware what happens within the program. That's why I'm initially thinking that this shouldn't be a problem, just open a dialog window with a similar layout as Canvas Size to do the changes. Then again, I don't know how Paint.Net actually works, I just know how to use it.

Using Ctrl + the keyboard arrows moves selections 10 pixels at a time btw.

I'm aware of that (I did say arrow keys) but with the images I'm working with ever expanding in canvas size, even that's not fast enough. Maybe add a Ctrl+Shift+arrow keys for 100 pixels at a time?

I guess you could always duplicate the selection - Go to Layers - Flip Horizontally - then merge down.

Um, I want to move the selection, not flip it. Sure, it sounds fast but then I have to unflip it, which takes time and this feels like an unnecessary step.

is there a way (either built-in or with a plugin) to quickly/instantly move and/or resize the selection box, regardless if you're using :MoveTool: or :MoveSelectionTool:?

You've found the Move Selection tool shortcut right? (Press M key twice).

Plugins cannot change a selection. So your best bet is to get used to dragging the selection with the mouse or arrow keys.

An alternative might be to use your selection + backspace on a new layer to create a mask. Duplicate & move as required. Use Magic Wand to select it, then revert to original layer. The selection will persist.

Final suggestion - drag out a selection with one of the selection tools & add the second mouse button to allow it to move with the mouse. Release the second button to continue sizing the selection.

See tip on this page http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/ShapeSelectionTools.html