Paint.NET 4.08 update issue concerning .NET Framework 4.6

I was prompted to update to Paint.NET 4.08 today, which required a more recent version of .NET Framework.  Proceeding, and after progress bars for the download and installation of .NET Framework v4.6 had completed, I received the message "Installation is complete".  I seem to be in some sort of loop, however, because I am asked to install it again: a window 'Set up FrontEnd.exe' followed automatically stating, "This application requires one of the following versions of the .NET Framework - .NET Framework v4.6 - Do you want to install this .NET Framework version now?"  Clicking "Yes" takes me to a web page http://dotnetsocial.cloudapp.net/GetDotnet?tfm=.NETFramework,Version=v4.6&processName=SetupFrontEnd.exe&platform=0009&osver=6&isServer=0&shimver=4.0.30319.34209 thatoffers a .exe file, NDP46-KB-3045560-web.exe, to download.  I am bemused and concerned.   

Same for me on Windows 8.1 but I continued to download the 4.6.1 update of .the dot net framework and updated Paint.NET again. This time with success. Nowadays MS tells you that they are on the 'social' side ;-);

I was a little bit in fear that they install together with this update the offer for Windows 10. But luckily this was not the case.

Switched off all other updates half a year ago.

midoras signature.gif

midora

I thank you for your reply; it is some comfort to know I am not alone.

I thought I might carry out the Microsoft .NET Framework update separately.  In the event, I found I was taken to the same Microsoft .NET 2015 window that the Paint.NET route, itself, took.  The installation completed successfully once more and I was asked to restart my PC.  I checked C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64 and C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework but the latest folder was v4.0.30319.  Nothing showed in Windows Update either.  What to do?  It was rather silly to try again but, not knowing what else to do, I did.  I was presented with a window this time that contained, "Your installation will not occur.  .NET Framework 4.6.1 or a later update is already installed on this computer."  I ran the Paint.NET update and it completed successfully.    

Edited by Bob Hawkins

Moving to Troubleshooting.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I checked C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64 and C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework but the latest folder was v4.0.30319

That is correct. .NET 4.5 and 4.6 are new framework versions, but they have the same runtime version as 4.0. That directory is named after the runtime version.

It's not confusing at all !!!!  :lol: 

The runtime is what loads and executes .NET code, and also includes things like the garbage collector and JIT. The framework is all of the classes, even System.String, that you depend on and use to build applications with. Technically it is possible to build a .NET app that does not have a dependency on the framework. Well, almost. You'd still need System.String and System.Array, if for no reason than the main entry point of a command-line application uses them.

And, to make things even less confusing, .NET 4.5 and .NET 4.6 do include updates to the runtime ... However, they aren't considered "version breaking" changes (like, say, generics in 2.0), so the major (4) and minor (0) version fields were not updated.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I decided to reply to this topic because I have experienced something similar to what is described in the first post.

The day before yesterday, I opened Paint.NET and was told there was an update (I believe it was 4.09). When I agreed to update, I was told that a new .NET Framework needed to be installed, which I agreed to. After that, almost the exact same thing happened that is described in the first post of this topic - including the progress bars for download and installation, the 'Set up FrontEnd.exe' dialogue box, and the "dotnetsocial" webpage.

Since I hadn't heard of this webpage before, I was very hesitant to download anything from it - but unfortunately, the download happened automatically before I had time to stop it.

I suspected that there might be viruses involved, so I immediately deleted the downloaded file and removed it from the recycle bin. After this, I scanned the computer with my antivirus, which didn't find anything.

(The only unusual thing that happened in this situation is that, when I tried Googling for help, Google suddenly wanted me to enter some characters to prove I wasn't a robot. This has never happened to me before, but fortunately it stopped happening after a while.)

As of now, I haven't seen anything to indicate that there might still be viruses in my computer. However, I'd like to ask the users of this forum if anyone has experienced something similar when trying to update Paint.NET. Is there anyone who is familiar with this "dotnetsocial" website, and knows if my computer might still be at risk?

Edited by 50Spann

That depends on the quality of your antivirus software. Do you trust it to do a good job?

Dotnetsocial appears to be owned by Microsoft and while frightening many users, it appears safe http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/dotnetsocial.cloudapp.net

I suspect that the Google issue was simply timing. They are playing with password-less security right now.