Layer Visibility: Please no more Assuming

One thing that has more or less been iratating me lately is that Paint.NET Auto Assumes that if I turn the visibility of a Layer to 'off', that I want to work on the layer beneath. I would find it much appreciated if this feature was removed, or at least be able to disable it. Thanks! :)

signature.png

The reason for this feature is simple.

Less expirenced users were turning off a layer's visibility and then imediately trying to draw on the canvas. Nothing shows up. Confusion sets in, emails are sent to Rick, etc.

More expirenced users can easily select the layer they want to modify.

I dont think it isnt so much as that as it is for Paint.NET to be productive. Turning the visibility of a layer turning off, then waiting for that two second delay for Paint.NET to switch layers, and then having to reselect your layer is about three to four seconds of time that could have been used ;)

signature.png

I don't like it myself, but I got 10x as many complaints/requests for it to work this way when it did work in the way that you suggest. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I don't like it myself, but I got 10x as many complaints/requests for it to work this way when it did work in the way that you suggest. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

If I am out numbered 10 to 1 then I guess I can cry another day :wink:

signature.png

• 5 years later...

This is literally the only thing I would change about Paint.net, and it bites me in the < no swearing > with great regularity.

I tend to make a layer invisible for just a moment to see what's underneath and compare it to the layer above, then make it visible again. Wait, what, now another layer is selected for no reason? >:S

If Paint.net is going to attempt to anticipate my needs, it'd be nice if it did so correctly- don't switch the selected layer until the user attempts to draw to an invisible layer. If the layer visibility is disabled, then immediately enabled, then the layer selection shouldn't change.

Edited by recycler

That sounds like a complicated fix that can be substituted with a simple solution: change in your workflow.  This thread has been discussed and answered several times; if you don't like the answer, I'm sorry.  If you have something else to add to the conversation, open a new thread, but before you do so please:

1. Read the rules that state you may not repost to threads older than three months.  This thread has had nearly six years to rot; please leave it alone.

2.  Fix your attitude.  One post, and you're trying to tell US how to run things around here?  Gosh, thanks.

After that, we can have a good discourse about this.  Rules, sir!  Read 'em.  ;-)

Welcome to the forum!

Thread Locked

• Upvote 2

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.