Feature request: Export/Save History

Greetings PDN users. I've been thinking about this feature for some time and I haven't been able to find a thread which addresses it.

Is it possible to save or export the "History" of an image once the image has been finished?

Would it be possible (gasp) to load and rerun that saved history like some sort of macro?

It has limits, however. For instance, it can only work on one layer at a time. Also, its abilities are limited to reproducing effects and adjustments only. You cannot save history at this point, and Rick isn't considering it.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

No, I'm not thinking about it. I explicitly said I'll never add that feature to Paint.NET. Or rather, the ability to save the history with the .PDN. Macros are another story. But don't hold your breath.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

No, I'm not thinking about it. I explicitly said I'll never add that feature to Paint.NET. Or rather, the ability to save the history with the .PDN. Macros are another story. But don't hold your breath.

@ Rick:

Ok considering the amount of memory that history sometimes takes it's understandable that you wont make that.

But!... You are giving (for 4.0 release or so) effects to access other image properties like layers? 'cause that's another way around the problem. :D

ANd one more thing just for curiosity what made you change your mind? (just curios really :D)

@ Rick:

Ok considering the amount of memory that history sometimes takes it's understandable that you wont make that.

It has nothing to do with memory usage. Also, history items don't use memory in Paint.NET v2.1 or newer -- it uses disk space.

But!... You are giving (for 4.0 release or so) effects to access other image properties like layers? 'cause that's another way around the problem. :D

I never said I was doing this. The effect system has a very narrow design on purpose.

ANd one more thing just for curiosity what made you change your mind? (just curios really :D)

Notice I said "this is in the long term roadmap" I didn't say "I'm going to implement this feature exactly as you described it." Actions/macros may end up just being something that is possible with a new object model, but not something that is exposed to the user by default. Someone might have to write an add-in that provides this ability. I don't know yet.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Sorry, Rick. I couldn't remember and made a guess.

Suppose I guessed wrong :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

It's because Paint.NET change pixels one by one, and such it will be near impossible to reproduce it exactly, unless saving a ridiculously enormous amount of stuff in the file, and complexify the format.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I don't know; the search tool hasn't been delivering good results as of late...