A better way to smooth out edges?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JuicyFlawless

JuicyFlawless
  • Newbies
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:54 AM

I have been trying to make backgrounds and sigs but unfortunately all the pictures that I remove backgrounds on become very rough around the edges. Soften portrait works a little but it's not good enough and feathering and duplicating doesn't really seem to get me anywhere. Is there a better way to do this?

#2 Luther Keeler

Luther Keeler
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:45 AM

Try using Alias then use feather over it. It works most of the time for me. :mrgreen:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 barbieq25

barbieq25
  • Moderators
  • 5,070 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

I have been trying to make backgrounds and sigs but unfortunately all the pictures that I remove backgrounds on become very rough around the edges. Soften portrait works a little but it's not good enough and feathering and duplicating doesn't really seem to get me anywhere. Is there a better way to do this?

I use 4 x bigger image than I want the end result to be. Feathering for me doesn't work to well either (error between chair & keyboard) so I usually Gaussian Blur @ 2.

This system works well for me but it takes forever to do anything since my RAM is smallish & have a shared graphics card. Be sure to save often coz it does crash occassionally but has been better with the latest versions.

I read somewhere that Smart Blur & one of the others (bad memory but it was in relation to what you're asking - try a search?, it was within the last month)

Hope this helps...

Just remembered! - Alpha Masking - that might be really good too - there's some great tutes on this too.

Posted Image

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Gallery

My DA Gallery

#4 pipp92

pipp92
  • Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

alias + aa assistant plugins

#5 csm725

csm725
  • Competition Hosts
  • 2,176 posts
  • Locationcsm725.com

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

@barbieq, it's Smart Blur and Surface Blur. Also, try Noise > Median at a low radius.

#6 barbieq25

barbieq25
  • Moderators
  • 5,070 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

@barbieq, it's Smart Blur and Surface Blur. Also, try Noise > Median at a low radius.

Clever little cookie! Thanks!

Posted Image

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Gallery

My DA Gallery

#7 csm725

csm725
  • Competition Hosts
  • 2,176 posts
  • Locationcsm725.com

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:23 AM

Sure! :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

#8 Crimson

Crimson
  • Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationI don't know. Where am I? WHO am I?

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:06 AM

If you don't want Median to smear out detail, you can always use the Alpha Mask plugin and use lines/curves to cut out the image (assuming what you're doing is cutting things out). That will give you optimal results.