Sign in to follow this  
JuicyFlawless

A better way to smooth out edges?

I have been trying to make backgrounds and sigs but unfortunately all the pictures that I remove backgrounds on become very rough around the edges. Soften portrait works a little but it's not good enough and feathering and duplicating doesn't really seem to get me anywhere. Is there a better way to do this?

I have been trying to make backgrounds and sigs but unfortunately all the pictures that I remove backgrounds on become very rough around the edges. Soften portrait works a little but it's not good enough and feathering and duplicating doesn't really seem to get me anywhere. Is there a better way to do this?

I use 4 x bigger image than I want the end result to be. Feathering for me doesn't work to well either (error between chair & keyboard) so I usually Gaussian Blur @ 2.

This system works well for me but it takes forever to do anything since my RAM is smallish & have a shared graphics card. Be sure to save often coz it does crash occassionally but has been better with the latest versions.

I read somewhere that Smart Blur & one of the others (bad memory but it was in relation to what you're asking - try a search?, it was within the last month)

Hope this helps...

Just remembered! - Alpha Masking - that might be really good too - there's some great tutes on this too.

If you don't want Median to smear out detail, you can always use the Alpha Mask plugin and use lines/curves to cut out the image (assuming what you're doing is cutting things out). That will give you optimal results.