Sign in to follow this  
Rick Brewster

HD Photo plugin - BETA

Bob    4

^

download broken

Yeah I pushed the wrong button in Frontpage and it started deleting things :oops: :evil: I'll upload it again in a bit!

Means the guy is aware of the issue.

Mazin    0

usedHONDA's results are misleading, showing at one point that HD Photo had better lossless compression than PNG.

I would be surprised if anything could beat PNG, but I am working with incomplete information here.

Both of his PNG images have an extra alpha channel in there. There's obviously there is no alpha to speak of, so that's superfluous data.

Using optiPNG, which removed the alpha (and might've used better compression parameters), the first image (pnglogo.png) became 98427 bytes (96 kiB), better than HD Photo.

The second image (hdlogo.png) is 136271 bytes (133 kiB) when optimized. It was already smaller than HD Photo.

I don't know much about HD Photo. Let me know if the HD Photo export also includes extraneous image data.

pyrochild    310

I don't know if this is the very latest version, but until the official link is working again, you can download from here Edited by Rick: Sorry it took me so long, I updated the first post w/ an official, working link :)

Alright, I downloaded and installed this dll into the file types folder in Paint.net, looked for a unblock feature in properties, and there was none. I have shut down and restarted Paint.net, because that is what is needed for most plugins, and the file extension is not present. Should I restart the computer? I have already installed net 3.0, and I am using paint.net 3.8!

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks! :lol:

coq    0

Hi,

There's no problem with your configuration : seems that expiration date in the current linked file really was today and not September 1st. ^^

Hi,

There's no problem with your configuration : seems that expiration date in the current linked file really was today and not September 1st. ^^

well, that stinks. If this is the case I hope Rick will get a chance to fix it. I was curious to what my own pictures will look like with the new format!

Pretty nice; every image is unique compression-wise.
not when the PNG is compressed with PNGOUT. not even HD Photo beats that.
I found PNGOUT and couldn't get it to work. PNGGauntlet, though it doesn't compress as well as PNGOUT (even though it's a gui for PNGOUT), compresses better than HD Photo. Plus you don't need a special viewer to see the pics. :lol:

Myrddin    4

I too use PNGGauntlet for the fact it said it uses the principles of PNGout which is much better than PNGcrush. I would use HD but so far PDN is the only program I own and know of that can view such a format.

RejZoR    0

Hm, what's so wonderful about it? Looks like was expecting something more impressive. A 10Mpix photo (3648x2736) taken by Olympus E-400 at SHQ quality (and lowest possible compression ratio) takes 6,84 MB in default JPEG state. Compressing it with wonderful HD Photo thingie INCREASES the size to 10,5 MB. Sorry, i don't see any practical use in this. I expected it to losslessly compress the image at least down to 2,5-3MB, not to increase it.

So in the end it's only useful with smaller images and low encoding rates.

I can't see how word "HD" fits in there. Is resolution 3648x2736 not HD enough? Huh... Still nice work on the plugin...

usedHONDA    4
Hm, what's so wonderful about it? Looks like was expecting something more impressive. A 10Mpix photo (3648x2736) taken by Olympus E-400 at SHQ quality (and lowest possible compression ratio) takes 6,84 MB in default JPEG state. Compressing it with wonderful HD Photo thingie INCREASES the size to 10,5 MB. Sorry, i don't see any practical use in this. I expected it to losslessly compress the image at least down to 2,5-3MB, not to increase it.

So in the end it's only useful with smaller images and low encoding rates.

I can't see how word "HD" fits in there. Is resolution 3648x2736 not HD enough? Huh... Still nice work on the plugin...

Actually, it does compress, that depends on your photo (i.e. number of colors and values). If you save an image (without transparency) as a PNG, then save it as and HD, then chances are that the file size reduced.

RejZoR    0

So what's the point of HD Photo format? Honestly it's better to compress the photos with 7-zip (LZMA) and you actually decrease size without losing any info (small but at least it is). I'll just keep my HD photos in original JPEG state. Quality will be top notch while still miles smaller than HD Photo format...

RejZoR    0

I'm talking about practical usage for real life HD photos. I think anyone would expect HD Photo format to persist the quality of originally taken photo from high quality digital camera while decreasing the size significantly. They advertise it as such after all... I get none of it and using lossy option just to decrease size is not an option since you have to go so low, it gets full of artifacts already.