Sign in to follow this  
Rick Brewster

HD Photo plugin - BETA

NOTE: This plugin is no longer being maintained or updated. It still works though, of course.

You can read all about HD Photo here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Photo

NOTE: This is a BETA release. Eventually it will be built-in to Paint.NET though. Edit: This is no longer the plan.

Installation Instructions:

1) Copy HDPhoto.dll to C:/Program Files/Paint.NET/FileTypes

2) Restart Paint.NET (if it was already started)

If you installed to a place other than "C:/Program Files/Paint.NET" then substitute the appropriate directory name.

Download: http://www.getpaint....HDPhoto.0.4.zip

Change Log:

v0.1, April 5th -- Initial release. Expires on June 1st, 2007.

v0.2, April 28th 2007 -- Added ability to open images that are not 32-bit BGRA. Also added ability to save in 24-bit format. This version now expires on July 1st, 2007.

v0.2 (again), June 16th, 2007 -- Recompiled and re-uploaded. Expiration date is now September 1st, 2007, and also will expire if Paint.NET reports that it is version 3.20 or newer. July 4th -- reuploaded version that should work now.

v0.3 -- September 8th, 2007 -- Recompiled and re-uploaded. Removed date-based expiration in favor of version-based expiration. This plugin will cease working if Paint.NET is upgraded to version 3.20 or newer (which doesn't exist yet -- the plan is simply to have the plugin integrated by then).

v0.4 -- December 14th, 2007 -- New release that works w/ Paint.NET v3.20. Version expiration now set so that it won't expire until Paint.NET v4.0.

Correct.

What about a Label?

"Quality is set to 100 so the compression will be lossless, blah blah" when lossless.

"If you select a lower quality you will loss details" or something...

@Buzz: I think you cannot compare WDP and PNG/JPG as there is a lossy and lossless mode.

So in lossless mode the filesize can be better than PNG and in lossy mode the thing beats JPG far away.

(Quick and dirty explanation)

Great plugin Rick, but other than PDN, does anyone know of any programs that can view HD photos (that's free :D)? I've gone for that HD Photo Porting Kit but nothing seems to have changed; then again I could have misunderstood its purpose and it's not what I thought it was. Having said that, I haven't restarted my lappy yet....

A quick and dirty explanation is just fine.

Thanks Bob.

Yeah this is just a beta/test plugin. The final version, once integrated in to Paint.NET, will have a quick explanation that 100 = lossless.

Pretty nice; every image is unique compression-wise.

As far as those two images, I have found that darker images almost always take up more space when working with the same dimensions and compression quality.

Pretty nice; every image is unique compression-wise.
not when the PNG is compressed with PNGOUT. not even HD Photo beats that.

My Paint.NET has been crashing lately whenever I try saving a pic. Is that coz I don't have this? Or something else?

No -- it is something else.

If Paint.NET is crashing, please send me the crash log (pdncrash.log should be on your desktop -- there's an e-mail address listed at the top).

Yea I know the one but there isn't a crash log for this. It's just the "Paint.NET has encountered an error and needs to close" then the 3 options to Debug, Send Error and Don't Send Error.

I couldn't find an Error Report anywhere for it it, just some binary.

Yea I know the one but there isn't a crash log for this. It's just the "Paint.NET has encountered an error and needs to close" then the 3 options to Debug, Send Error and Don't Send Error.

I couldn't find an Error Report anywhere for it it, just some binary.

This discussion doesn't belong here -- please move this to the Bugs & Troubleshooting forum.

I'm sorry for asking a noob question. Am I suppose to get a new option for file extension when I click "Save As". I think I did it right. I am running Vista, with .Net v3.0 built-in, Paint.Net v3.07, and copied the HD Photo DLL in the "FileType" directory. Still I see the same extensions, no .HDP or .WPD option. What can I expect to see with this plug-in? Basically, how do I use it. If there's a tutorial for this, please post a link. Thanks :-)

I went back, and I didn't have the "Unblock" option like in your link. However, I did get an HDPhoto option in "Save As" after a reboot. Strange, I never thought I had to do that in Vista to make this plugin work.

download broken

Yeah I pushed the wrong button in Frontpage and it started deleting things :oops: :evil: I'll upload it again in a bit!