Need help removing borders from digiphotos.

Dear Anyone.

OK, I KNOW this should be simple, I've even read instructions here how to do it but I flat can't make them work!

Got JPEGS with black borders.  I want to get rid of black borders.  The instructions I read here - somewhere - said the following:-

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:29 PM
Open Paint.NET.

Add a new layer: Layers > Add New Layer In the Layers window, click on the layer named Background. Delete it. Layers > Delete Layer  Begin your project. When done, save as PDN.
Then, save as .PNG

Problem 1 - when I load up a picture after deleting the background layer as per above, it recreates a background layer and puts it on that so the background layer don't STAY deleted (if it isn't SUPPOSED to stay deleted, why delete it in the first place)

Problem 2 - I can't move the frickin picture to any other layer for love nor money nor chucking the computer out the window after spending almost a WHOLE DAY trying! I cut it from background layer. Select new layer. Choose 'Paste Into New Layer'. You don't get the picture in the new layer. You get a little outline of dashes around the edge of the new layer with a little holy cross in the centre, also composed of dashes,  in its own little box.  You get no visible picture. 

So I can't get onto the 'save as PNG' part of the instructions cos I can't make the first part work.  And the reason I'm cutting it from the background layer is because I'm told it has to be in a new layer and I can't stop the system from recreating the background layer that's supposed to be deleted. AAAARRRRGH!

Please, what the dog and duck am I doing wrong in something that looks so simple?

Yours from a place of extreme frustration - if anyone wants to make sure I don't f'up getting rid of the borders when using the last pair of instructions, please pre-empt any further posts by me on this and point out any boneheaded mistakes I'm gonna make before I make them, please! -

Chris.

This isn't a reply, it's something that I posted on Paint Boy's thread than I thought it would be better as a follow-up question, kinda, on this thread so I'm posting it here too.

I'm adding this not to usurp anything but just cos I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this kinda stuff...

Someone said the poster Paint Boy was looking at looked smooth cos it had been scanned and bits of it were less than one pixel in size.  BUT.....

If he'd scanned it, wouldn't the scanning process have produced a copy made out of pixels? And once the copy, presumably made out of pixels cos I can't for the life of me find out anything else it could be made out of unless he's got some kinds scanner that turns things into vectors, had been made, how the heck would it have points on it smaller than one pixel? And if it's possible for a scanner that presumably turns things it scans into pixels to rebuild the image CAN use something smaller than one pixel to represent part of the image - why the heck can't Paint.Net do the same thing to make images smoother? I mean if it can SHOW the image with its less-than-one-pixel parts in its screen, then it can HANDLE less-than-one-pixel elements.  If it can HANDLE them, why can't it CREATE them?

The more dumbass questions - and they're serious questions, I seriously do have these problems understanding this cos the logic don't make sense - of mine people answer, the sooner I'll go away and leve you guys in peace...

Yours hopefully Chris.

Chris, I think it's better to keep your questions in different topics. 

If you post an example of a jpeg with the border you're trying to remove, members here will be able to give you better help and instructions specific to the job at hand.

• Upvote 1

Xkds4Lh.png

Removing borders:

1. Open the jpg image.

2. Activate the magic wand tool :MagicWandTool: by clicking on the icon in the Tools window.

3. Click on the black border. Make sure all of it is selected. If it is not, adjust the Tolerance in the Tool Bar. You also don't want the selection encroaching into the rest of the image.

4. Invert the selection with Ctrl + Shift + I.

T. Crop to selection with Ctrl + Shift + X.

5. Save As... a PNG!

This would be easier;  Use the Rectangle select tool (keyboard S) to select the area you want to keep and then under the Image tab use Crop to Selection(keyboard Control+shift+X).   :)

Edited by skullbonz

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery