Help! I hate my web site!

BoltBait

Help me redesign my web site!

I hate my web site: http://www.BoltBait.com

I don't like the fact that it has a white background.

I like my google site better: http://boltbait.googlepages.com

But, I'm not really happy with it either. Maybe a cross between the two?

I would like to move all of my stuff off of googlepages and on to BoltBait.com but, I don't want to do that until I'm happy with the layout.

Since there are many (OK, most) people on here that have more talent than me, how should my web site look?

To give you some ideas of what I like, here are some pieces that have caught my eye on the pictorium lately:

barkbark00:

on2.png

off2.png

BuzzKill:

BK_logoeye.png

Crazy Man Dan:

cmd-roughmatteglass.png

cmd-smoothshinyglass.png

Of course, whatever I go with has to look professional... and shiny. 8)

I'm looking for graphic suggestions and style sheet suggestions.

OK, so, what should I do?

I'm honored to be mentioned. Personally, I think that CMD has cornered the market on "Professional & Shiny".

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

The only area where I would be remotely helpful in, is graphics. I am completely lost when it comes to html, xhtml, css, javascript, etc... Basically, anything that is behind the scenes. That being said, I'd be happy to help where I can.

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

In my opinon it's not all that bad, just a little dark. But I'm a novice so what do I know. I'm glad I went to check it out though, because I would like to learn html and your tutorial looks interesting. Thanks

Del Harris

"Your Agent in the High Desert"

The only area where I would be remotely helpful in, is graphics. I am completely lost when it comes to html, xhtml, css, javascript, etc... Basically, anything that is behind the scenes. That being said, I'd be happy to help where I can.

ditto...

BoltBait

This is an old link to a contest

http://mix06.com/Contest.aspx

The "Download MIX CSS" link on the right is still active, may be of some help to you.

SwankyFrank

Thanks, but I know what a CSS looks like. :D

Seems that you like dark backgrounds.

I've heard it may reduce usability, readability.

Read: http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/2 ... adability/

Thank you for trying to talk me out of doing something that I really want to do instead of helping me reach my goal.

Oh, I can do all that stuff. I just need help with the graphics and overall "look".

I'm honored to be mentioned. Personally, I think that CMD has cornered the market on "Professional & Shiny".

Heh. Don't sell yourself short. You do good work.

So, does anyone have any real suggestions? ;)

I made a quick and dirty example of what i think will be plus or minus what you could achieve.

http://pdn.bibinou.com/dev/null/boltbaits/

What do you dislike in it?

I think you basic layout was pretty good, and added a menu to it so the user would know where he is.

but if you want breadcrums like Leif said, there is a

• between comments.

The ugly grey thing stand for a shiny border, the css tricks had to be improved but it's basically that.

The

bw comments is also here to separate the title and the content "shinily".

Feel free to comment.

edit: typos.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I was just messing around and I decided to use your website name as my text...

bbcarved2.png

bbcarved.png

I was going for a "carved in ice" effect

Well why not go for a full out webpage layout. Have a header that joins to a side bar. Your links on the side bar and then down at the bottom a small bar to shows the end of the website and under it the copyright information. Should look good. I not to good at graphic's but if you have no idea what I trying to say I could do a basic layout to show how it be placed on the site. As for the look of the lay out I think black background, The header and side bar gray, blue, and black with a shin.

sure i'll give it a go...

EDIT: I have no idea how to get that effect sorry...

It looks like he used the paint brush to make a a lot of lines and stops. Then blur the lines to get the liquid. But the chrome looks like it made up of 2 or 3 layers using gradient.

The "chrome" was like 7-8 layers at one point or another.

The liquid was about 10 layers that were eventually condensed down to I think just 3. I know that I used multiple layers with the cloud render effect and the median blur among others. There was also a vertical mirrored gradient in that part.

The chrome was a few gradient layers with different blending modes and a couple of layers for with crossing diagonal black lines and a few motion blurs.

I know that this is really vague :roll: , but thats is how I work. I just screw around until what I've made looks like something interesting. I keep a few, layers delete some more, change it all again, and then when all else fails I....invert everything! :wink:

The "chrome" was like 7-8 layers at one point or another.

The liquid was about 10 layers that were eventually condensed down to I think just 3. I know that I used multiple layers with the cloud render effect and the median blur among others. There was also a vertical mirrored gradient in that part.

The chrome was a few gradient layers with different blending modes and a couple of layers for with crossing diagonal black lines and a few motion blurs.

I know that this is really vague :roll: , but thats is how I work. I just screw around until what I've made looks like something interesting. I keep a few, layers delete some more, change it all again, and then when all else fails I....invert everything! :wink:

lol like me, just play with it and see if anything good comes out of it. To bad most of my stuff comes out looking like a drawing by a 3 year old :lol:.

Thank you majic, and i belive he said he wants the "Chrome" boarder from His picture, and not the liquid for the pic in the middle... lol, but that realy does look awesome! How did you do the top!? man...

How did you do the top!? man...

I assume the top is the surface of the water...

So:

Select blue and dark blue and primary/secondary colors

Cloud effect : Scale=250, Roug.=25

Duplicate the layer.

Select blue and light blue and primary/secondary colors

Cloud effect : Scale=250, Roug.=75, Blend mode=negation

Water effect : with default values.

Rectangle select tool and select the waves ctrl+i, delete

Move the waves up to 50px from the top.

Codelab for the waves (from warp.cs):

void Render(Surface dst, Surface src, Rectangle rect)
{
   for(int y = rect.Top; y < rect.Bottom; y++)
   {
       for (int x = rect.Left; x < rect.Right; x++)
       {
           dst[x, y] = src.GetBilinearSample(
x+2 * (float)(Math.Sin((x + y/2.0) / 20.0)-Math.Cos((y - x/2.0) / 20.0)),
y-2 * (float)(Math.Sin((x + y/2.0) / 20.0)+Math.Cos((y - x/2.0) / 20.0)),
               true
               );
       }
   }
}

Then Glow effect: Rad.=6, Bri.=30, Cont.=70.

Cut the left-right edge because they are waved too!