Is version 4 slower?

NinthDesertDude

I was just surfing around aimlessly on Paint.NET today and noticed the beta was out.  I downloaded it and intentionally created its own folder so I could go back to the old version if it didn't work (thanks for deleting it v4 beta).

I realized that it was slow as molasses (as in, I can see the image updating block-by-block and it takes about 4x the time to do so that it did in v3.5).  I'm not sure if it's faster or slower on other computers.  Since I know nothing about the design of Paint.NET, I was wondering if:

A ) Version 4 uses the graphics card, or uses it more, and previous versions didn't

B ) It will get a billion times faster in the standard release

C ) It uses a different rendering method, i.e. it really is going to be slower

I think there's more evidence leaning towards C because the installation time took almost 10x as long.  Thoughts? Answers?

Edited by AnthonyScoffler
  • Upvote 1

Why don't you tell us what kind of machine you have ... e.g. OS, RAM, CPU, GPU

By all other reports it's much faster than 3.5, so you saying "it's slow as molasses" makes me think it's not me, it's you.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Why don't you tell us what kind of machine you have ...

By all other reports it's much faster than 3.5, so you saying "it's slow as molasses" makes me think it's not me, it's you.

Whoops! I thought I left in the part about my graphics card being the oldest in the world, but I guess not. :D Yes, I'm pretty sure it's me. I run these specs:

Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200 (two cores)

Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (graphics card)

4GB ram (3.87 usable)

64-bit operating system with x86 architecture

I ran both 3.5.11 and 4.0.x side by side for a while.  I certainly felt v4.0 was faster and more responsive.

RE: installation location.  These instructions should work if you want to roll back, then install 4.0 alongside 3.5.11: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27227-paintnet-40-alpha-build-5034/?p=399792

You can try disabling Hardware Acceleration in the Settings. On an old yucky GPU like yours, the CPU might actually be faster at stuff. Your CPU isn't very fast either, buuuuuuuut ... it can't hurt to try.

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

personally i'm impressed with the performance increase i've seen in 4.0 and i only have a mid range laptop:

cpu: intel core i3 2350 2.3 ghz
ram: 4 gb
gfx: intel hd graphics 3000

i recently downloaded the trial version of corel's paint shop pro x6 and testing it on the same laptop it had severe performance issues, so paint.net is considerably faster than that commercial image editor, at least in some areas.
Edited by ratty redemption

• 3 months later...

I don't proofread.

It's been slower for me, because of the fact that I have both Adobe Photoshop and Paint.NET installed, I mainly use Paint.NET as an alternative to mspaint because of it's speed in comparison to Adobe Photoshop. After updating to 4.0, it is indeed slow for me, before than, I could've had Counter-Strike Global Offensive running in the background and edit images between rounds on the fly without slowdown (for reasons). I can't really do that with 4.0, and in my opinion it felt slower than Photoshop too (just a little). At times, it lags when moving around pictures, the selection tool is laggy. The Line tool also suffers too.

And so, at the end, I've decided to downgrade back to 3.5, it's just my computer I guess, and it's really unfortunate that it slows down for me. Here are my specs.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

GA-MA700-DS3P

AMD Phenom 8750 Triple-Core Processor (3 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

4096MB RAM

DirectX 11

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (2303 MB) (Core 575 MHz) (Mem Clock 1004 MHz)

Also, Paint.NET 4.0 has the same feel as Photoshop too me, as if it's not "optimized for Windows" (my layman opinion).

I'm probably not gonna respond, I just logged in to file in my problem with 4.0 :pizza::mtdew:

• 11 months later...

I was just surfing around aimlessly on Paint.NET today and noticed the beta was out.  I downloaded it and intentionally created its own folder so I could go back to the old version if it didn't work (thanks for deleting it v4 beta).

I realized that it was slow as molasses (as in, I can see the image updating block-by-block and it takes about 4x the time to do so that it did in v3.5).  I'm not sure if it's faster or slower on other computers.  Since I know nothing about the design of Paint.NET, I was wondering if:

A ) Version 4 uses the graphics card, or uses it more, and previous versions didn't

B ) It will get a billion times faster in the standard release

C ) It uses a different rendering method, i.e. it really is going to be slower

I think there's more evidence leaning towards C because the installation time took almost 10x as long.  Thoughts? Answers?

I really think so! And I agree with you, AnthonyScoffler.

Tha't why I still using Paint.Net ver 3.5 now :)