Varied opacity?

I have two related questions:

1. I am not able to do a somewhat basic task. 

I have an image on a seperate layer and I want to merge it, but I want the edges to be more softened.

I used to use photoshop deluxe, it had a paint brush with a soft round tip that you could make hard edges softer. Its not like smudge, more like a softer eraser. 

Is there a way to do that?

2. Is there some way to make any image gradually more transparent either from one edge to another or from the center out? (Like the effect you get using gradient, but with a gradual opacity to an opaque object/image)

1. Click 'more' on the colors window and reduce the primary color transparency to say 50.
Then try the eraser. - softer? - If not what you want, perhaps try Boltbait's feather plugin after erasing.

2.Select the gradient tool.Then in the top tool bar you should see a round colors icon :Colors:- click the little arrow next to it and select 'transparency mode'

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I find lowering the Primary color transparency to 2 or 3 easier than Red Ochres recommended 50. This makes the Eraser tool into a very soft erasing brush. Multiple passes are usually required to completely erase something hence you have finer control.

I find lowering the Primary color transparency to 2 or 3 easier than Red Ochres recommended 50. This makes the Eraser tool into a very soft erasing brush. Multiple passes are usually required to completely erase something hence you have finer control.

Never thought about that, thanks ego!

eOdUjVm.jpg

1. Click 'more' on the colors window and reduce the primary color transparency to say 50.

Then try the eraser. - softer? - If not what you want, perhaps try Boltbait's feather plugin after erasing.

2.Select the gradient tool.Then in the top tool bar you should see a round colors icon :Colors:- click the little arrow next to it and select 'transparency mode'

Hope that helps.

Ok, Thanks. I'll have to try that.

As for #2, I have an existing pic, not one that I'm painting, How can I do this to something that exists already? I know how to do the gradient effect.

[edit]

Ok, I see what you mean now. I can do it. This works. Thanks!! Great tip.  :smile:  :evillaugh:

Edited by Jack002