Need to Blur the Edges of Images For Client Website

Hello everyone,

I need to find out how to blur the images for a client website....

What I have done is to take 2 images and put them alongside each other, but I need to blur the area where they join to make the join look less severe.

Also, I need to blur the complete outer edge of the whole image as well.

Have attached image....

Your help will be most appreciated....

Best regards

Greg

post-75193-0-60246100-1368903440_thumb.j

This tutorial might help you (with the intent of explaining how the gradient tool works)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

This tutorial might help you (with the intent of explaining how the gradient tool works)

Hi pdnnoob,

Thanks for the reply but that solution doesn't really help me....

I have attached a couple of other pics which show you what I want to do.

Two things:

1. Blur the area where the two pics join

2. Blur the edges of the pics

Hopefully you can see from the attachments what I want to achieve.

Regards

Greg

post-75193-0-84117400-1368967551_thumb.p

Guess I should have been more clear on my instructions.

Here's what I got using the gradient tool (through a variation of the tutorial I gave you):

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/pdnnoob/Untitled-9.png">http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/pdnnoob/Untitled-9.png

What I did:

1. Separated the images and put them on different layers

2. Widened each image slightly so they overlapped

3. Used the gradient tool on the top layer to blend them together

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Guess I should have been more clear on my instructions.

Here's what I got using the gradient tool (through a variation of the tutorial I gave you):

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/pdnnoob/Untitled-9.png">http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/pdnnoob/Untitled-9.png

What I did:

1. Separated the images and put them on different layers

2. Widened each image slightly so they overlapped

3. Used the gradient tool on the top layer to blend them together

Thanks pdnnoob,

Got the best "joining" result using your method....

However, I still get a "hard line" that shows up from the image on the lower layer....

(it makes no difference which image I put on the lower layer - the hard line shows up)

How did you get the soft line?

Thanks to all the other contributions from Doughty and Klaxxon....

Regards

Greg

Make sure you don't use the gradient anywhere past the edge of the bottom picture. If you need to, lower the opacity of the top layer while you work so you can see what to avoid. For best results, put the start and end of the gradient on the edges of the images.

Another tip: hold shift while drawing your gradient to keep it horizontal.

Make sure you don't use the gradient anywhere past the edge of the bottom picture. If you need to, lower the opacity of the top layer while you work so you can see what to avoid. For best results, put the start and end of the gradient on the edges of the images.

Another tip: hold shift while drawing your gradient to keep it horizontal.

Thanks pdnnoob,

That works perfectly!!!!!!!

Any ideas on how to provide a fade on all the other edges?

Regards

Greg

Fade Edge by @KrisVDM is the solution to the first question  ;)

Transparent block:  On a new layer drag out a filled rectangle in white.  Press F4 and lower the transparency/opacity setting.  A little drop shadow would give this block some 'pop'.

Ego Eram Reputo, on 21 May 2013 - 00:12, said:

Fade Edge by @KrisVDM is the solution to the first question ;)

Transparent block: On a new layer drag out a filled rectangle in white. Press F4 and lower the transparency/opacity setting. A little drop shadow would give this block some 'pop'.

Thanks Ego Eram Reputo,

Those both worked well....

Just a further question with regards to using Fade Edge - I saved the finished work as a .png file to keep the "fade edge" looking great (better than it does if you save as a .jpg - because it seems to take on a bevelled edge appearance)

The resulting .png file size is large (between 464-711kb for 3 images). I normally use FastStone Photo Resizer to resize images but in this case it seems to cut off the "fade edge effect".....

I realise that this question is not about PDN but any advice on how to resize the .png image would be helpful.

Regards

Greg

Jpgs do not support transarency and lose quality in order to compress the file more heavily. PNG is a lossless format which supports transparency which is why the files are generally larger.

Two options are available. The OptiPNG plugin and the PNG Preprocessor. Find them both in the Plugin Index.