Losing quality when resizing

Hello,

I'm losing a lot of quality when resizing images (I'm using CTRL + R and Best quality resampling).

The images I usually resize have approximately 900 x 900 pixels and they are basically text print screens. I resize them to 80%.

Is there anything that I can do to get images with better quality?

Thank you,

Follow the resize operation with Effects > Photo > Sharpen @ Amount of 1 or 2.

Try the different resampling methods, like Nearest Neighbor.

Hi, I already tried that and the other resampling methods are even worse. But thanks.

Follow the resize operation with Effects > Photo > Sharpen @ Amount of 1 or 2.

I guess I'll have to use that, but the quality is still bad :/ Thank you.

If you can upload an example and post the link here we might be able to offer more suggestions.

Try resizing to exactly twice the size you want before resizing down.

The unfortunate reality when resizing is that you will always lose some amount of quality.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

If you can upload an example and post the link here we might be able to offer more suggestions.

Before: 

beforemw.png

After 80% resize: 

after80resize.png

Try resizing to exactly twice the size you want before resizing down.

The unfortunate reality when resizing is that you will always lose some amount of quality.

Yeah, you're right, :/

But the funny thing is I have friends using the same settings, same program, same everything and they get images with better quality!

If the width is the critically important dimension - why not avoid the resize and instead move the right hand column closer to the text?  It seems you have the space. 

Another option occurs from your screenshots.  The resized image is a lot lighter.  Why not darken it?

Adjustments > Brightness & Contrast

or 

Duplicate the layer.  Select the top layer and change the blend mode to Multiply (Press F4 to find the blend mode options).

If the width is the critically important dimension - why not avoid the resize and instead move the right hand column closer to the text?  It seems you have the space. 

Another option occurs from your screenshots.  The resized image is a lot lighter.  Why not darken it?

Adjustments > Brightness & Contrast

or 

Duplicate the layer.  Select the top layer and change the blend mode to Multiply (Press F4 to find the blend mode options).

I can't edit the image, but I'll try to use the adjustments you suggested. 

Thanks!

• 6 years later...

To lessen the reduction of image quality when reducing a picture, make sure you increase the resolution (pixels/inch or pixels per centimeter) before reducing the size.  I had a 9.6mb 22"x22" photo that I needed to reduce to 2" x 2" for a passport. If I only changed the size to 2 x 2 at 72 pixels per inch, the resulting picture became 81Kb which was not be good enough for the government because of the poor resolution.  However, if I set the resolution to 500 pixels/inch before reducing the size to 2x2, the resulting picture was 3.8Mb and the resolution was very good.