Why are the Adjustments and Effects separate?

bEPIK

Wouldn't the Adjustments fit in Effects>Colors? Or, if you're more conservative, perhaps Effects>Adjustments? The only negative I can think of is there'd be one extra click, but I think it's worth it for the sake of consistency. Can anybody explain the Adjustment/Effect split to me?

While we're on the subject of cutting out menus, I considered the results of cutting another menu; I'm not too sure about this one, but hey, throw mud at the wall and see what sticks. Rick has removed the Window menu in 4.0 after he moved its functionality elsewhere. This could also be done with the View menu. "Zoom to Selection" could be integrated into the "Fit to Window"/"Actual Size" button (a 4.0 feature) when a selection's made. The problem with this is that the View menu is ubiquitous in every program with a menu UI and removing it could confuse newbies.

Please focus your comments on the first idea, since I don't really agree with the second one.

Adjustments only look at the current pixel when computing the resulting pixel. Effects typically look at surrounding pixels when computing the result.

Effects > Render plugins don't look at any source pixels when computing a result pixel.

For example:

Hue/Saturation is an Adjustment.

Gaussian Blur is an Effect.

Adjustments only look at the current pixel when computing the resulting pixel. Effects typically look at surrounding pixels when computing the result.

Effects > Render plugins don't look at any source pixels when computing a result pixel.

For example:

Hue/Saturation is an Adjustment.

Gaussian Blur is an Effect.

Interesting...I hadn't thought of that. What about Effects>Color, though? Some of those seem like they should be in the Adjustments menu, don't they?

While we're on the topic, is it possible to put things in the adjustment menu into submenus? For example, Adjustments>color

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

What about Effects>Color, though? Some of those seem like they should be in the Adjustments menu, don't they?

While we're on the topic, is it possible to put things in the adjustment menu into submenus? For example, Adjustments>color

Effects>Color is a menu Ed Harvey added in for his effect pack. As for moving the adjustments into submenus, think they'd all fit under Color so it wouldn't help organize it.

I see. But I don't think this distinction warrants their separation. If it did, why not put Effects>Render in it's own menu? Adjustments and Effects are certainly closer together than Effects and Renders. Also, what do you think about Ed and his Color menu? To repeat pdnnoob, wouldn't they fit under Adjustments? Should Adjustments being renamed Color?

Edited by brad.pike

As BoltBait has said, the differences are more likely to be 'under the hood'. From Rick's perspective there is bound to be a 100% sold reason for the separation.

There are a number of crossover type effects which could easily be located in either the Effects or Adjustments menu. I'm happy to have both menus as trying to shoe-horn more stuff into Effects is bound to make puppies cry.

Yes, this is possible.  CodeLab supports this.

Also, please remember that plugin developers decide where to put their plugins.  So, often the placement is arbitrary.

I'm happy to have both menus as trying to shoe-horn more stuff into Effects is bound to make puppies cry.
They cry a lot already, I think...

EDIT: thanks, BoltBait! Maybe I'll start reorganizing the plugins myself...

nevermind too lazy :P

Edited by pdnnoob

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

One.sad.puppy :(

You can't possibly use AII of those!

you're right...I only use 80-90% of them occasionally. Only 5% get used often

But that's ok! I know where they are all located!

All those plugins - and you haven't got WhichSymbol+ :roll::)