another problem with font size

Well, several of you said to ask all the questions I needed to.

So here's a new one. I made orange letters in a font sized 142. But when I made a new layer and then made white letters to put on top of the orange ones--I also use font size 142, but it was smaller than the orange font. So I couldn't put it one top of the other letters for the 3-D look.

It's close, but not quite close enough to fit as it should. Do the differing colors make a difference in how the font of the same size is different? Or is it using different layers?

No to both (layers and colors). If you're using the same sized font , weight and color the second set should completely match the first set by way of size.

Now if you wrote one set with anti-aliasing enabled (soft edges) and the second set with the anti-aliasing disabled (jagged edges) there would be a size difference (anti-aliasing the edges makes the characters appear a bit smaller).

You would have to use exactly the same font, font-size, weight (bold vs. normal) and anti-aliasing to get them to match perfectly.

Anti-alias leaves some semi-transparent pixels along the edges, so even if both sets of letters are exactly the same in every way (except color), you would see through some of the edge pixels if anti-alias is enabled. They would still be exactly the same size, though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Thanks, pdnnoob, but they're different in size. The background which has brown that I'd never match if I tried to delete both colors and start again shows over the top of the smaller, white color D and some of the others as well, when I try to fit in on the orange. The font just isn't the same even though I entered them the same.

I think it's more of a mismatch than it should be! Both fonts are Gabriola 144, Bold, one orange--one white.

The orange which I did first is larger.But it's on the background layer, and I made a new layer for the white, could that be what's wrong?

I moved it all over the place but it still wouldn't fit!

And off the subject but anyway--I never could figure out how to make a figure blue. It just turned into a blue blob!

Instead of moving the text with the move tool, use the little positioning nub that appears in the bottom right of your text when you are typing textmove.png

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

You don't need to post your original project on Photobucket, just try to repro it on any background color and post it, so we can see what is the problem exactly,

I am sure you've changed -at least- one thing of the text in the second layer,

I am saying this because you have mentioned the font size you've used was 142 in your first post, then 144 size in your latest post...! This way we are not sure what steps and settings you actually used.

I used gabriola font which is installed on Win 7, and I was confused, but now know for certain it's 144.

And there was nothing changed. Because I tried it again and again and made very certain that things were the same.

However, it is now a moot point. I gave up and started a new cover--and would you believe it, now it works as it should. So what was wrong in the other file I'll never know.

But I can assure you it was wrong. And I was very careful. You can take my word for it or not.

So I will now just drop this thread. Thank you for your help, even though I got the distinct feeling I was being doubted--and the difference in font #s could certainly make it look like that was the problem!