Possible to set individual default colors for each tool?

Hi, I'm a newbie to Pdn, but not to these types of prgms.

I've read the manual on selecting colors for tools - like text, rectangle - but find nothing about saving a "preferred" color selection for various tools. Searched forum as well. Admittedly, this may be a bit below the general use of Pdn.

1) I gather there is no one - click "text box" tool / function. True? Where you select a region, it fills in a background color of choice, then you click in box & start typing - & text color is also saved from earlier choice.

2) Among other things, I'd like to at least be able to save / set a color that Pdn will use every time I draw a rectangle (unless I change it), & also set a different color for text tool.

If I understand, the way you change colors as you select different tools is, must click the tool icon, then click the color you want - EACH time (if different than current primary color selection).

Is there no way to save a "default" color (say Red) that Pdn will use each time you select the text tool, and (say, yellow) each time you click rectangle tool? Many prgms save color selections made for each tool

I read the help section on working w/ palettes, but that doesn't assign / save specific colors to specific tools. Unless I missed something (quite likely), you have to continually select colors each time you use a new tool (if you want it to use a different color than currently showing in Primary Color box). This seems like a lot of unnecessary clicking, if you typically want (for example) to always use a specific color for rectangles & another for text. Seems like that should be default behavior, instead of clicking color selection every time you change tools?

Thanks.

You cannot set colors on a per-tool basis. It is not "a lot of unnecessary clicking". I have no idea why you think that should be the default behavior, seeing as how no other software ever works like that.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Assuming at least some users want different colors for different tools, in Pdn you do have to click a new color each time you click a new tool.

I'm also supposing that for general purposes, users would want to assign specific colors to specific tools. If those aren't saved, you have to click a color each time you click a tool. To me, that's unnecessary clicking, unless there's an easier way for what I'm trying to do here.

The reason I thought it was default behavior is, several prgms that have some drawing capability do save color choices for individual tools (that can be changed anytime, of course).

Like FastStone, Screenshot Captor, IrfanView. No, they don't have the advanced drawing capability of Pdn, but for simple tasks like a text box, I've no idea why people would want to constantly select the same colors repeatedly, for a background & for text (for example), every time they use the prgm.

Thanks again.

You might be interested in this: http://forums.getpai...p?/topic/18378- (it also uses the primary / secondary colors though).

I wondered if you could save your preferred colors into a palette (specifically slots 0 and 16 = black & white in the default palette) and have that loaded automatically with the new palette. You can of course, but I found that PDN does not use those palette slots as the default primary / secondary colors. Instead the defaults are still set to Black & White.

I wonder if it would be useful to link the default primary & secondary colors to these two slots in the current palette?

e.g.

For the default palette the default colors would still be black and white.

For a custom palette, the default primary color would be set to the palette's first color, and the secondary color to the palette's 16th color.

yhsjjie-40.png

Assuming at least some users want different colors for different tools, in Pdn you do have to click a new color each time you click a new tool.

I'm also supposing that for general purposes, users would want to assign specific colors to specific tools. If those aren't saved, you have to click a color each time you click a tool. To me, that's unnecessary clicking, unless there's an easier way for what I'm trying to do here.

The reason I thought it was default behavior is, several prgms that have some drawing capability do save color choices for individual tools (that can be changed anytime, of course).

Like FastStone, Screenshot Captor, IrfanView. No, they don't have the advanced drawing capability of Pdn, but for simple tasks like a text box, I've no idea why people would want to constantly select the same colors repeatedly, for a background & for text (for example), every time they use the prgm.

Thanks again.

If I had to memorize hex codes before switching tools so I can get the same color, I would not be a happy camper...I can change the color quite easily, but if I were trying to get the same color twice, I would have to do a whole lot more extra work. Perhaps I wouldn't be using the same color multiple times as often, but it's just more of a pain when I do (if the default was as you say)

Well, FastStone, Screenshot Captor, and IrfanView aren't exactly major image editing programs. GIMP and Photoshop do things the way paint.net is set up.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Thanks ego er - I don't fully understand your suggestion - yet (how it could / would actually be implemented), but it's early in AM for me. Water spraying out all under sink woke me up.

I'll look at the link & try to figure out if your suggestion could help me. I'd rather go thru steps once to set colors I want to use - if possible, than every time I use it.

Thanks also, pdnnoob.

...I can change the color quite easily, but if I were trying to get the same color twice, I would have to do a whole lot more extra work. Perhaps I wouldn't be using the same color multiple times as often, but it's just more of a pain when I do (if the default was as you say)

I'm not sure where you stand - sorry. Users that WANT to change colors frequently for a given tool (say text) have to click a new color each time. That makes sense - if you WANT new colors for same tool, you must click it. So, users changing colors are already clicking a lot (a necessity).

If a "default" color was saved / remembered by Pdn for (say, text), & users want to change colors, there'd be no difference in amount of clicking for them. Now, they click for new colors. If default colors were remembered, they'd STILL have to click for new colors. Same exact steps for "color changers." But, for users wanting the same colors most of the time (for a given tool), Pdn remembering default colors would drastically reduce # of clicks & save much time over months of use.

Net Result: No change in time / # of clicks for those often changing colors for given tool.

For those often using same colors for given tool - lots of clicks / time saved over long term.

I see only an improvement for some users & no downside for other users (no more work / clicks than now)

Well, FastStone, Screenshot Captor, and IrfanView aren't exactly major image editing programs. GIMP and Photoshop do things the way paint.net is set up.

Yes, I stated that. However, saving or not saving default tool colors (say text), font name, font size, etc., has nothing to do w/ whether the 3 prgms mentioned are major editing prgms (there are others besides those 3). They are quite similar to Pdn for the particular functions being discussed.

Regardless of how GIMP or Photoshop work, saving time is saving time. Features / functions of all sorts of prgms are constantly changing to improve usability & speed up certain processes. Saving time is saving time, for very similar functions in complex or more simple prgms. If GIMP & Photoshop jumped off a cliff, would Pdn also jump? (kidding):D

I think I see what you are trying to suggest now. You want the colors to be saved between sessions as well as for each tool. I was talking only about having separate color selections for each tool (without saving between sessions).

As you are describing things, time is saved per tool, but say you wanted to draw a circle and a line of the same color. If the color used for each tool was the same (like it is now), I only have to change the color once. However, if I have to adjust the color twice, I start to have problems because changing the color of the line tool didn't change the color of the circle, so I have to expand the color window, copy the hex code, then paste it into the other tool's color window.

I'm totally with you on saving the colors between sessions, but individual tool colors just doesn't seem logical if I can just manipulate the current set-up to facilitate that need.

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I don't get it. How many want every tool available to (generally) always be the same color (like all red)? Maybe some do, but I don't know why.

How many times out of all uses do you actually want every tool to be red or yellow? I still say the change I'm proposing wouldn't take more time for "color changers," and save a lot of time for those wanting to use different colors for different tools & generally use those more often than not.

Even if color choices were saved session to session, if you want to select a new color, you only have to click - the same as now. No difference.

Though it seems less likely users will want all tools to be the same color, I guess a "global" color selection button could be added - to set all tools to the newly selected color - over riding individual tool color selections.

Even if there was a way to select colors for each tool & save it as a palette or config file, that allow users to immediately load their personal choices for each tool. Whether they were all the same or all different colors.

Yes, it is not often to want the same color multiple times, but when you do, this sounds like it will be a royal pain in the neck.

Besides, if you wanted different colors saved temporarily for when you switch tools, you can use the primary and secondary colors or the color palette if you need more than two colors.

How often will you have the colors you will use for each tool set up beforehand, anyhow? I honestly haven't ever had a need to do that myself (and I've been using paint.net for years, now), so I don't see why one would need such a thing.

A few other things you must remember:

~Some plugins need primary and/or secondary colors selected. What will happen with them?

~The color picker tool will need a complete remake to facilitate the change. Which tool would you be choosing the color for: the previously used tool or the one you plan on using next?

I would prefer the possibility to create your own tools by cloning the current tool and all the globel settings like color, anti.aliasing,..

This way you could keep the standard behaviour of global settings for the default tools and the individual settings for the cloned tools.

Switching between default tools and owner tools would change the settings to use.

But this is a conceptual issue and as always if you are adding possibilities things are getting more complex for the users and the supporters ;-)

midoras signature.gif

One concept that seems well accepted: just because a prgm works a certain way now, doesn't mean it can't be improved. It's done all the time.

The option to save user preferences for ALL types of settings is a very desirable feature in software. If it wasn't possible in many prgms, users would be irate.

Yes, it is not often to want the same color multiple times, but when you do, this sounds like it will be a royal pain in the neck.

two simple buttons - one to restore "defaults" (that I assume would set all tools to use the same primary / secondary colors.

Another button / option to select a user's preferred color selections. Or just save last customized colors (or have a pop up, asking), & / or allow hitting "reset" if wanting all tool colors the same. Lots of prgms allow saving & naming multiple user customizations, in cfg, ini, js files, etc. Many allow naming & saving more than one customized preferences file, because they're so small. Users must be able to enter meaningful names, if > 1 file. This is extremely common.

{Besides, if you wanted different colors saved temporarily for when you switch tools, you can use the primary and secondary colors or the color palette if you need more than two colors.}

If you make customizations in browsers, word processors, pdf readers, do you have to (or want to) reconfigure those every time prgm is restarted? No, but AFAIK, that's the way Pdn works now.

How often will you have the colors you will use for each tool set up beforehand, anyhow? I honestly haven't ever had a need to do that myself (and I've been using paint.net for years, now), so I don't see why one would need such a thing.

I thought I made that case - maybe wasn't clear. Depends on WHAT you're doing. Many times (not necessarily for artwork), I would want, say, arrows = purple, rectangle outlines = red, filled rectangle boxes (to enter text in) = yell, text to enter onto rectangles = red, etc. Just examples.

Even IF using only couple colors & switching back / forth between, say - text & arrow. Makes no sense to continually have to reselect desired color for each, every time you switch - ESPECIALLY in same session. If you WANT to use several color for arrow in same session, click them. I'm betting in ONE session on ONE image, majority of users pick an arrow color & don't change it - for that image / session. NOw, switching back / forth between tools, using diff colors for each, must reselect (red) each time reselect arrow. How is that not unnecessary clicking for majority of users?

It'd be nice if could store more than one customized tools color choices in named files. Also, quite common in many prgms, for instance - media players.

* I see no sense in ALL tools being set to exactly same colors via choosing primary / secondary colors.

* How many actually use same colors for ALL tools in a session, vs at least some diff colors for some tools?

* Seems to cause extra work, after setting custom colors, for Pdn to revert to black / white after restart. How many use black & white for everything?

A few other things you must remember:

~Some plugins need primary and/or secondary colors selected. What will happen with them?

1) Do the plugins need P / S colors to be ALL the same for every tool? There'd still be P / S colors, just allow users to customize, or allow users to click "default" button to set them all the same again.

~The color picker tool will need a complete remake to facilitate the change. Which tool would you be choosing the color for: the previously used tool or the one you plan on using next?

Current color picker doesn't retain color choices between sessions, EVEN selecting P / S colors, & save as new file. When reopen that saved file, color picker P / S colors are reset to black / white. So unless I missed something on how it works, I don't get your point. It may retain changes made ON the image, but doesn't retain color selections in the P / S color boxes. Doesn't make sense to me. If want to continue your work on that image, using EXACT color picker values previously set, why would one want to RE select them (find the exact pixels - AGAIN)? Seems like more wasted time, by Pdn not saving previous settings, even for saved, edited images.

Not an expert, but why would color picker need a complete remake? If you select the tool now, it changes P / S colors, depending on R or L click. Why would that need to change? It's a different tool w/ very diff function from most others. If you select it, you expect it to behave differently for changing colors. Now, if you use color picker to change P / S colors, then close Pdn, it reverts to black / white.

Oooookay this has gone on long enough. It should be apparent by now that this will not be happening, especially because it makes no sense. You're the only person who has ever asked for this and thought it should work this way. Just give it up already.

Thread Closed

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg