Sign in to follow this  
dynojuggler

Improved Grafitti Technique

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

I have seen several tuts for using Alpha-Displacement Mask. I have seen examples of it using text but they weren't exactly what I was looking for. I wanted one that looked more like it was actually laying on top of the ground.

Simply using my image as-is for a displacement mask gave me this...

Dynojugglersanddunepic2asmall.jpg

This is what I wanted it to look like and this is what this tut will share with you...

Dynojugglersanddunepicsmall.jpg

Only one Plug-in is necessary for this effect:

Displacement and Alpha Mask Plug-in by Bleek II

Okay, let's get started...

1. Open the image you will be using for your background and name it Base. Duplicate this layer and name the new layer Mask.

Picture1xx.jpg

2. Change the Mask layer to Black and White. Change the brightness and contrast. The levels will vary depending on your chosen background image. You want the image to have clearly defined shadows.

Adjustments> Black and White

Adjustments> Brightness/ Contrast

Picture2xx.jpg

3. Slightly blur the image with Gaussian Blur. Again, the level of blurring will vary depending on your chosen image. This layer will be used later to give shadows to your text so think about how soft you want your shadows to be.

Effects> Blur>> Gaussian Blur

Picture3xx.jpg

4. Flatten the image and save it as "Displacement Mask".

Undo the flattening.

Render the Mask layer invisible

Add a layer between the Base Layer and the Mask layer and name it Text.

5. Add your desired text. Black typically is not an ideal choice for text color since it won't really show any shadows later in the process.

Picture4x.jpg

5a. Optional: If necessary, adjust your text layer to follow the "lay" of your image using Rotate/Zoom

Layers> Rotate/Zoom

Picture5x.jpg

6. Run Alpha- Displacement using the image you saved earlier as Displacement Mask.Make sure “Displacement On?” is checked.

Adjust X and Y settings to your preference. Your settings depend on how deeply you want your text to fall into the grooves/ cracks of your image. Higher setting create deeper grooves.

IMPORTANT: Whatever you choose to set them to, make sure X and Y are exactly opposite (i.e. if X is 5, then Y is -5).

You can leave everything else at the default settings.

Effects> Alpha- Displacement

Picture6x.jpg

7. Make the Mask layer visible again.Change the Blending Mode to Multiply.

If necessary, adjust the Opacity of the layer.

Picture7x.jpg

8. Choose the Text layer.

Using the Wand Selection Tool set to Global, click anywhere outside the text.

Choose the Mask layer and hit delete.

Picture8x.jpg

8a. Optional: Merge the Mask layer down. Depending on the texture of your base image you can run Blur, Feather, or AA Assistant and then any other effects that will help your text blend into the landscape. For this image, I ran a light blur on the text and then used Frosted Glass to give it a subtle sand texture.

9. Congratulations, you are done. Flatten and save your image.

Some other examples of using this technique with other than text...

UllarMossyRockWallx.jpg

JandarStonewallxsmall.jpg

Hope other n00bs like me find this useful!

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Added PDF link

Great tutorial! Very useful.

Thank you! I was hoping this wasn't already covered in this fashion.

The only thing I'm asking is: shouldn't this be in 'Distortions & Modifications'?

Sorry, I guess I had tunnel vision. I was originally looking to do some things with text using this, so that is what I had in my head. But in retrospect, yes, definitely this belongs in Distortions and Modifications.

This, imo, is probably the best graffiti tutorial on the forums ^^ I've been trying to achieve the same for a while, but only just figured out what I wasn't doing right thanks to your tutorial. Thanks!

This, imo, is probably the best graffiti tutorial on the forums ^^ I've been trying to achieve the same for a while, but only just figured out what I wasn't doing right thanks to your tutorial. Thanks!

Thank you for the great encouragement!

I am very glad that my tut was helpful to you.