Shiny Gold Text

theadamgaskins

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

By the time you finish this tutorial, you should be able to make images like this:

213_Web20Glow_antialiased.png

Step 1

215_step1.png

Fill the background layer with black. Create a new layer, and draw your text that you want to be shiny in orange, with no antialiasing.

Step 2

216_step2.png

Select the text, and draw a gradient from Orange to Brown, with Orange on top, and Brown on bottom. These are the colors I used, but feel free to use your own combinations.

Step 3

207_step3.jpg

Duplicate the Text layer, and name the layers like so

Step 4

217_step4.png

Blur the Small Blur layer with Gaussian blur just a little bit (I did 5), and the Large Blur layer significantly more (I did around 90).

Step 5

218_step5.png

This is where the magic happens! Create a layer on the top, name it clouds, set its blend type to Color Dodge, and render some clouds. Make sure you set the primary and secondary colors to Black and White. Just fiddle with the settings until it looks shiny enough.

Step 6

219_step6.png

This step is optional. Create a new layer under the clouds layer, called "Shine". Draw an oval like so, and go to the text layer, and select everything except the text. Go back to the Shine layer, and hit "delete". Lower the Opacity of the Shine layer, and (if you want) set it to overlay. Apply a Gaussian Blur of 1 or so to the layer, to smooth the edges.

Finished

220_step7.png

Your final setup should look something like this.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Here's the finished product:

212_finished.jpg

The more time and effort you put into it, the better it will look. The initial example is an example of this. For those who want it, here is the PDN file that I made in this tutorial.

post-79863-129225358327_thumb.png

Hi theadamgaskins, welcome to the forum.

This is a nice effect. Shiny (that's a little Firefly in-joke :D).

You've done a good job explaining it in very clear and precise steps. You've even uploaded it into the correct forum section!

The screenshots are too large however :(.

The first screeny is 958x772 pixels and the JPG is 174.8kb in size. If you resize this (maximum dimension of 800px - as per the Tutorial Guidelines item 1a), and save it as an optimized PNG (see item 1b) then you'd be able to get the filesize down to 26.5kb. A significant saving in don't you think?

Please as a minimum, resize the overlarge screenshots.

Thanks.

Hi theadamgaskins, welcome to the forum.

This is a nice effect. Shiny (that's a little Firefly in-joke :D).

You've done a good job explaining it in very clear and precise steps. You've even uploaded it into the correct forum section!

The screenshots are too large however :(.

The first screeny is 958x772 pixels and the JPG is 174.8kb in size. If you resize this (maximum dimension of 800px - as per the Tutorial Guidelines items 1a & 1b), and save it as an optimized PNG (see item 1c) then you'd be able to get the filesize down to 26.5kb. A significant saving in don't you think?

Please as a minimum, resize the overlarge screenshots.

Thanks.

Glad you like it!

And, I'm sorry about that. Fixing now...

EDIT: ok, fixed :D

Edited by theadamgaskins

You're missing the blend mode for the Cloud layer ;)

I've got just one more suggestion: Blur the 'Shiny' layer to soften the edge of the ellipse.

Nice that you included the PDN file. A very nice touch! Thanks.

post-48727-129228341219_thumb.png

You're missing the blend mode for the Cloud layer ;)

I've got just one more suggestion: Blur the 'Shiny' layer to soften the edge of the ellipse.

Nice that you included the PDN file. A very nice touch! Thanks.

Oh, thanks. Nice catch, and idea. *added and fixed* boltbait.smile.png

Edited by theadamgaskins

• 3 weeks later...

Im not a very large fan of tuts, this being the first one i properly followed, and i think its very cool!

4g0w0o.png

All i didnt do was the eclipse thingy, instead i rendered dents a few times on a duplicated cloud layer.

eOdUjVm.jpg

theadamgaskins, what is the name of the font you have used? It's beautiful.

Is it me --or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I made a forum account just to let you know that your tutorial is really helpful and easy to follow but still has an awesome result. Thank you for making this tutorial! :)

71o74z.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

This is awesome Adam, thanks for the tutorial.

I've been wanting to get the gold effect. I think this post looks a tad too orange though. Maybe use more of a yellow instead of orange to get the bright yellow gold look.

I'll definitely be using this. Thanks again.

Edited by Dandy6