size of workspace only 800 X 600?

I need to work on an image that is 970px wide. It is a header. I need to fill the 970px width with a gradient. How can I enlarge my workspace? Currently it seems I'm limited to 800px wide.

Thanks for any help. I tried searching for this and if I missed the answer I'm sorry. Robin

I want to create a very large map, and Paint couldn't do it. I found Paint.NET in my search for a program that would handle larger files, but apparently it can't deal with the size of picture I wish to create, either.

I am stitching together two high-resolution maps of cities in my area to create a huge master-map, which will act as a background graphic for a transit simulation. The first map is about 7710x7453px and the second is 8738x7196. Both maps are PNG files. I imagine the final map would be around 14000x7500px or so.

PDN crashed simply trying to create a canvas that was big enough to hold the combined map.

Do you have any recommendations for succeeding at this task? My system is a Windows XP box with a single Pentium 4 processor and 2GB of memory. Maximum VM is set at 4092 MB, which ought to be more than large enough to accommodate even the big, combined map file; I am surprised that both Paint and Paint.NET choke on graphics of this size.

...I am surprised that both Paint and Paint.NET choke on graphics of this size.

After reading this you might not be so surprised: viewtopic.php?p=152435#p152435

That's a BIG image!