program tool suggestion

sent this in via email, but, I wanted some feedback on this suggestion.

I've encountered great difficulty, and I know others have as well, with centering an item within paint.net.

while I cannot speak for others, with regards to how this affects them, I can say that as I often use various emblems for wallpapers, that trying to center an item can be a right pain in the backside.

a tool of sorts, something that is preferably adjustable to fit other tasks would be most helpful.

I cannot say how often I've had to resort to a centering cross just to get an emblem centered.

perhaps that would work, a centering cross, with alternating colored squares for accurate placement?

Universal Law #001: anything and everything that could possibly go wrong can and probably will, and, most likely, at the least opportune time

Unless you have near-superhuman mental capacity, you can't write a plugin that centers an image without transparency. How would the plugin know which pixels to center, and which ones not to? And even if it did, what would be filled into the pixels that your image moved from? Just paste whatever you want centered into a new layer, and run Align Object on that.

Unless you have near-superhuman mental capacity, you can't write a plugin that centers an image without transparency. How would the plugin know which pixels to center, and which ones not to? And even if it did, what would be filled into the pixels that your image moved from? Just paste whatever you want centered into a new layer, and run Align Object on that.

that's what the selection tools are for(the things that let you cut up an image and drag and drop the parts).

I think a Grid will be so helpful plus the center Cross, I know there is a grid already but that just work for pixels with high zoom, it will be great if could be changeable to inches or centimeters or there parts, and could be turned On and Off .

I agree, something usable at any zoom, and the measurements could be set to whatever the current measurement system is in use, whether it be pixels or inches.

Universal Law #001: anything and everything that could possibly go wrong can and probably will, and, most likely, at the least opportune time

that's what the selection tools are for(the things that let you cut up an image and drag and drop the parts).

You would then have to re-wire Paint.NET itself. When you run an effect/plugin with a selection on, it alters everything inside the pixels, and none anywhere else. The selection doesn't move. So, if you ran Align Object with a selection, Paint.NET would take the entire image and process the information for it to be centered, but in actuality, only the pixels inside the selection would be changed. Sorry if I'm not clear. :(