Richard's Pixelly Pixel Art Gallery Updated (12/04/09)

Hey everyone, I have been doing pixel art for a while, I started out in MS Paint and it was sketchy at most but I found this community which has a really good feel to it and of course Paint.NET. I have been following some of the tutorials etc and it has opened up the whole world of art to me, it's a mountain and a half times better than paint :wink:

I drew all these with the bucket tool, line tool and the pencil tool, the ones in space took me about 6-8 hours each, it seems a bit extreme but I had to make sure it was perfect and I still don't think they are. :)

-----------------------Pixel Art (Old)

I put in some of my pixel art from when I started out for comparison. In order from oldest to most recent:

Really old pixel art houses

Hidden Content:
pixelhouse12improved-1.jpg

Not as old house

Hidden Content:
CivilianHouse1.jpg

-----------------------Space Pixel Art

Space Cargoship

Hidden Content:
starfield1.png

Spacestation

Hidden Content:
Spacestation3.png

Space Gunship

Hidden Content:
Gunship1.png

-----------------------Buildings Pixel Art

Cheap Hotel

Hidden Content:
Hotel1.png

This was inspired by one of the cheap hotels I have stayed in, it wasn't pretty, this picture compliments the bad decor and it's 'Run Down' look.

Skyscraper

Hidden Content:
Skyscraper1.png

I'm not really sure but there is something missing on this piece, maybe someone could offer some suggestions? Looks a bit bland. It maybe even have too much on the roof, the fire exit looks a bit out of proportion...

-----------------------Animations

Animated Pirate

Hidden Content:
hello.gif

This little thing took me an hour to create, I had the pirate already done, I just removed his sword and put a pistol in then animated the different positions of his arm. Overall I am quite happy with it.

-----------------------Random Images

L4D Spray

Hidden Content:
Axe1.png

It doesn't look so nice on white but it looks good when it's sprayed on a wall in L4D with alpha and all that.

I think it suits me :D

L4D based Avatar

Hidden Content:
Medkit.png

Made this for a friend, it's loosely based on the Bioshock icons for plasmids

L4D based Avatar (cartoon)

Hidden Content:
CartoonMedkit1.png

I randomly thought that the avatar needed a cartoony touch put on it, so here it is!

-----------------------

For the space backgrounds I used this tutorial, it's very effective in my opinion: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1630

Where are you based ... I think we've stayed in the same hotel :lol:

Nice job on the latest piece.

It was a hotel I staying in when in Scotland, the breakfast consisted of boiled sausages :?

I made a new bit or pixel art:

Hidden Content:
Skyscraper.png

This was just me messing with shapes fitting into other shapes and things like that, so I added some windows to it to make it into a skyscraper.

I am not quite happy with it, something is missing or there is too much on it. Feel free to share opinions.

nice skyscraper looks great, one suggestion though for the text saying "pirates yarr", use the shortcut ctrl + shift + z and then use that ball looking thing in the popup window and you can change the angle of the text, that will give it a better effect for going with the 3D pixel art. :D nice job!

deviantART | Paint.NET Gallery | bennettfrazier.com <-- (My new Website!)

• 2 weeks later...

Made this tonight, I haven't done any pixel art in about 2 weeks thanks to exams and technology coursework, but the coursework is out of the way so that's good. I only really do it when I feel like it, tonight was one of those nights :)

Hidden Content:
hello.gif

This little thing took me an hour to create, I had the pirate already done, I just removed his sword and put a pistol in then animated the different positions of his arm. Overall I am quite happy with it.

That's so cute! (Well, I don't know if that's what you wanted, but I think it's clever and adorable!) :D

Well I was going for something a bit different but the compliment is appreciated none the less :wink:

Maybe if I made it a bit bigger so I could add some stubble, an eyepatch and a nasty scowl on his face it would be more successful :)

Very interested gallery, neat and clean pixels art, I see a lot of progress and improving, some points I have on this one:

th_Skyscraper.png

Most of them are minors but only one thing i will ask you if you can correct it, it is the ladder on the roof if you can extend it (I calculated it and found it should be extended 5 black steps more from the bottom)because the wall behind the ladder is inclined, this will stop the optical illusions that make us feel that the top object is Prominent out to the air on the left side of the building ( I hope it is clear what I'm saying) excellent work anyways.