plugin writing advice about the writingprogram and languages

Boude

Plugins have to be written using the .NET Framework, though it should be possible to write the plugin in nearly whatever language you want and just write a small "wrapper" plugin in .NET that interfaces with the main plugin using P/Invoke or other interop helpers.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

so basicly I would only make it harder for myself, or is a "wrapper" plugin easy to make? by the way what is an interop helper, wikiing it didn't work. and

You can create Windows applications using Windows Forms to provide processing and high-performance content display. In addition to traditional uses for Windows applications, a Windows application can be used with constructs from the newer .NET framework. For instance, a Windows application can function as a front end to an ADO.NET database.

does this mean I still would have to write the "wrapper" plugin (I'm only 13 years old and never even saw a code before last summer).

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

I would say as an advice for you at 13 years old:

Don't try to build a sand castle with water if you know it will be easier with sand...

At 13 years old you should focus on the method, and not on the language.

Learn and retain the method, and use the language as a tool. So you also need a "short" learning for each language, but this is not the most important...

You're 13 and the first language you learned is Delphi? Er, ok... that's just kind of different.

Anyway the purpose of writing a wrapper would be that you only need to learn the absolute basics of the wrapper's language (C#, VB.NET, etc), so you can use a language you are more comfortable with to write the "guts" of your plugin.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

@pyrochild:No, it's not, the first language I learned was "codelab"(yes I know that's C#) and basicly I only know a bit of C# and delphi, so that's why I'm trying to figure out which would be the best. codelab doesn't supply you with a lot of helping material, sorry boltbait, and I thought that you would probably be able to find a good learn delphi material and it is the only code program installed on this computer. and I experimented a bit with it and I didn't find it very difficult.

@madjik: thanks yoda :P , but all I'm trying to do is figure out is wether sand, water or bricks would be easiest and which would be easiest to learn and which is the cheapest.

yhsjjie.png

codelab doesn't supply you with a lot of helping material, sorry boltbait, and I thought that you would probably be able to find a good learn delphi material and it is the only code program installed on this computer.

CodeLab doesn't, but if you download a better c# IDE with intellisense support and the ability to see all of your plugin's code there are plenty of c# resources - one such site is TheCodeProject.

KaHuc.png

Please remember to post in the correct section.

Moved to Plugin Developer's Central

Also, please change the title of your post. "Plugin question" is way too generic.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Well, rick, I admit I was wrong :oops: and now all is right, except for some spelling probably. I hope the title is specific enough now.

yhsjjie.png

first that came up in my head, but we got to get back on topic or I will have to change it again :P. Edit: which kind of project should I choose, we have: a windows form application, class library, WPF application, WPF browser application, console application and finally the empty project.

yhsjjie.png

so not in the effects folder and how can add it as reference, it such a generic word, that searching it is not very effective. by the way thanks for all your help guys, it will really help me.

yhsjjie.png

You should probably use IndirectUI -- which means you'd be deriving from PropertyBasedEffect. This way you don't have to worry about WinForms vs. WPF, data binding, layout, or anything like that.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg