Installation of Paint.net fails

Go to solution Solved by Tankertonian,

I've been unable to update Paint.net since mid 2023, which appears to coincide with a Win 11 update.

You notify me of updates but every time the installer stops working.

Reading that I should install .NET manually I installed the latest version 8.0.201. Then I uninstalled paint.net and downloaded the installer file again. 

Big mistake. Now I don't even have an old version to use. I have a lot of .pdn files which I can't open. 

Google can't even find a result for the error code.

Guess I'll have to find another editor and learn that.

image.png.85b581234a3c880a2a3057378682a45a.png

33 minutes ago, Tankertonian said:

Guess I'll have to find another editor and learn that.

That's your prerogative.

Or... instead of saying Goodbye, you could describe the problem here (which you have just started to do) and have Rick or someone else help you solve it.

15 hours ago, Tankertonian said:

Reading that I should install .NET manually I installed the latest version 8.0.201.

Where did you read that? It must have been part of a really ancient thread in the forum.

The paint.net download page https://www.getpaint.net/download.html is very clear:

Paint.NET runs on Microsoft .NET 7, which is included as part of the app. It does not need to be installed separately.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for for the positive replies. For some reason I only got notification yesterday that anyone had responded. 

What's the process for getting practical help?

I've tried to install again and it failed.  I checked for, and removed or renamed, any old Paint.net files on my hard drive.

Any ideas on a way forward?  

Thanks

image.png

2 hours ago, Tankertonian said:

I checked for, and removed or renamed, any old Paint.net files on my hard drive.

Any ideas on a way forward?  

Your previous paint.net installation, whose files you have tried removing/renaming, will now be broken.

Try using this utility to fully remove the broken installation:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Afterwards, you should be able to install paint.net anew.

Posted (edited)

Sorry didn't make it clear. I uninstalled paint.net properly via Control Panel. I later found some residual files, which I removed.

I've run the troubleshooter (both for install and uninstall) but it was unable to find a solution. Obviously paint.net was not in the list of programs it found so I was told to click on 'Other' then asked for a key from the msi file (and said I'd need a msi reader). I don't have a msi file.

I'm installing from   paint.net.5.0.13.install.anycpu.web.exe

Edited by Tankertonian

11 hours ago, Tankertonian said:

Sorry didn't make it clear. I uninstalled paint.net properly via Control Panel. I later found some residual files, which I removed.

There may still be files lurking around. Do try the link that @Tactilis suggested:

12 hours ago, Tactilis said:

• Solution

This won't be a long post. I have to rush out to buy lottery tickets while my luck holds out.

I have paint.net installed!!!

It was the tip from Boltbait to download from Github that got me there. I saw a msi download choice, ran it, and it installed in seconds. 

Thanks folks for all your help.

I really appreciate it.  

• Like 1

• Tactilis changed the title to Installation of Paint.net fails