Removing overlay graphics/images

Go to solution Solved by Tactilis,

I am trying to edit an image to get rid of an overlay image but preserve the base image, but I keep erasing parts of the base image. Is that possible with paint.net or are there tutorials in the forum on how to do it?

PNG.png

6 hours ago, Dhox said:

get rid of an overlay image

Please say exactly what you mean by this.

Do you mean remove the white background and grey shading that @BoltBait has done for you, replacing it with transparent pixels? If so, then search the forum for remove background. You'll find several techniques.

But if you mean something else, you'll need to ask more clearly.

@Dhox welcome to the forum :)

You could do this:

1.  select the color you want it to be.

2.  Make a new layer and paint the area.

paint-over.png

Or, if you only want the image background gone, then there is this free

site:  https://www.remove.bg/

Good luck :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

57 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Looks like you got it!

Actually, I didn't. That's an entirely different image of the same item. I just wanted to know if it's possible to do using paint.

• Solution

The very wording of your question suggests that you are new to image editing...

On 2/29/2024 at 5:51 AM, Dhox said:

I am trying to edit an image to get rid of an overlay image but preserve the base image, but I keep erasing parts of the base image.

You don't have a separate "overlay image" and a "base image". You just have an image. There is no drinks can "base image" under the pieces of chocolate.

3 hours ago, Dhox said:

I just wanted to know if it's possible to do using paint.

Of course it's possible with paint.net, but obviously not automatically and not without a fair amount of work.

You have to erase the pixels that represent the pieces of chocolate, etc. which are occupying the space where drinks can pixels should be, and then create the missing pixels to match the shape, colour, texture of the can. You are going to need to learn some basic techniques first such as drawing, painting, copy/pasting, cloning... and learn to use layers.

You should consult the excellent Documentation, which you can access by clicking the :Help: Help icon top right in paint.net. There are also many tutorials in this forum and various how-to videos on YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2024 at 4:11 PM, Tactilis said:

The very wording of your question suggests that you are new to image editing...

You don't have a separate "overlay image" and a "base image". You just have an image. There is no drinks can "base image" under the pieces of chocolate.

Of course it's possible with paint.net, but obviously not automatically and not without a fair amount of work.

You have to erase the pixels that represent the pieces of chocolate, etc. which are occupying the space where drinks can pixels should be, and then create the missing pixels to match the shape, colour, texture of the can. You are going to need to learn some basic techniques first such as drawing, painting, copy/pasting, cloning... and learn to use layers.

You should consult the excellent Documentation, which you can access by clicking the :Help: Help icon top right in paint.net. There are also many tutorials in this forum and various how-to videos on YouTube.

Thank you so so much for the help and responses. I'll definitely look into the documentation to learn more.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1