problem saving cleared image

After clearing the sorrounding parts of the image I save it as .png but back in Paint the new image is not clear. I've tried opening the image in paint.net as a jpeg and as a png but the result is the same. I use the wand, clip and the checkered pattern surrounds the image. What else must I do to retain the cleared version, please? must the imported image be in jpeg, png or something else?

Sin título.png

JPEG format does not support transparency, so you can't use that.

PNG supports transparency.

After selecting the white area and erasing (Edit -> Erase selection  or press the Delete key), you should see this:

Bag.png

Now do a Save As and set the 'Save as type' to PNG.  Transparency will be retained in the file and it can be reopened like the above in paint.net.

But it doesn't. I get to the point of having the checkered sourrounds, save as .png and when I go back paint the newly added .pmg image still has the white outlinearounf the image. HELP

I tried to re download but keep getting the attached image which stops any further progreess for downloading

paint.net download failure.png

I signed up today as garrymo at garrymo123@yahoo.com but when I tried sign on just now, I got the message "already in use by another member" so I had to sign on using a different email address. At that attempt after hitting submit I got an endless string of security challenges. What is that all about? 

50 minutes ago, chuckee said:

I got an endless string of security challenges. What is that all about? 

It stops spammers and bots polluting the forum.

53 minutes ago, chuckee said:

I get to the point of having the checkered sourrounds, save as .png and when I go back paint the newly added .pmg image still has the white outlinearounf the image.

You've removed the background surrounding color, leaving blank pixels. To show you where this transparency is, paint.net shows you the checkerboard pattern. The checkerboard pattern is not part of the image, it is there as a visual cue to you.

You've saved as a *.png (which support transparency). Correct :)

57 minutes ago, chuckee said:

when I go back paint the newly added .pmg image still has the white outlinearounf the image.

This is a result of incomplete removal of the white background. It shows up at the edges when you place another color behind the image. The usual method of removing these artifacts from the edges is to run the AA's Assistant plugin over the layer.