tool or plugin for Phase-shifting (or horizontal "rotation") ?

Posted (edited)

Thank you!!!                  Could you tell me the names of the plug-ins ?

What bothers me about the (built-in)   Layers/Rotate and zoom   is that...      Since i'm just panning in the Horizontal direction, 

this should be a Loss-less distortion, and i feel like i shouldn't have to specify     Quality   at all.

Edited by HenryH

I use Panelling, since it's pixel-precise.

31 minutes ago, HenryH said:

What bothers me about the (built-in)   Layers/Rotate and zoom   is that...      Since i'm just panning in the Horizontal direction, 

this should be a Loss-less distortion

It isn't lossless though since rotate/zoom works with floating point numbers and easily results in fractional pixels, and hence why plugins like Panelling are useful.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HenryH said:

Since i'm just panning in the Horizontal direction, 

this should be a Loss-less distortion, and i feel like i shouldn't have to specify     Quality   at all.

If you are ONLY moving/tiling your image horizontally by an integer amount then 'quality' (sampling) is probably irrelevant.'Nearest neighbour' is correct.
If you are moving/tiling your image horizontally and vertically by a non-integer amount then the surrounding four pixels must be used. The new pixel is somewhere between the known ones.
Rotating the image within the plane is probably much the same, four pixel sampling should suffice.

NOW - if you are tiling AND tilting your image, the apparently distant pixels, on the 'horizon/vanishing point', will be an an average of the whole image!!!!!🤪
That means a tilted, tiled surface has to find the average colour of the whole image for every pixel on the 'horizon'. So the effect could take days to process a large image!
(Yes, there are always techniques to be more efficient - but often slower and buggier than the simple approach).

I wanted a higher quality way of tiling/resizing/tilting so wrote the plug-in 'Aardvark' (in my pack) - I was greatly helped by @MJW
At the time it was written, 'Rotate and Zoom' was less powerful.
There is a trade-off between 'quality' (how many pixels you process) and speed, especially for tilting. Many things in life have analogous 'trade-offs'!

If doing pixel art then @MadJik's panelling is your best option.
For most uses the built-in 'Rotate and Zoom' is good.

My 'Aardvark' (and @MJW's) plug-in has sampling of up to 21 when tilting, which means a 21 * 21 square, at times, 441 pixels being sampled just to get the correct value for each new pixel!... that's why there's a slider - to allow a rough setting of the controls, to preview results, before committing to a high quality render.

* IMPORTANT: The link to the 'Aardvark' plug-in is in my pack (link in sig), but you really should get used to using the plug-in index!... it is a useful/enjoyable way of discovering useful effects.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

5 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

but you really should get used to using the plug-in index!... it is a useful/enjoyable way of discovering useful effects.

^^ QFT (Quoted for truth).

Link to the Plugin Index: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/15260-plugin-index/

'Aardvark' -- is great...         (i searched for, and found the reason for the weird name).

i like its Phase-shifting in the [brick] option  -- i wish i could adjust the Phase-shifting amount, which is now fixed at 1/2.