Problematic requests and patronizing PM's

HenryH

@HenryH has not provided the requested paint.net Diagnostics and has not replied to a polite PM and subsequent email asking whether they intend doing so. <<<

(observation 0.   a self-claimed [polite PM] is almost-always not so.)                  (like when Veterans, Old-timers say    [Welcome to our Forum!] )

i have some suggestions about (moderator(s) and Old-timers) making requests and sending "polite" PM's. --- based partly on observations about forums where [moderators] can be imposing, insulting, uninviting ... without realizing it.

(Thank you for the suggestions and comments, esp. about the GPU-setting -- the GPU-setting didn't seem to change anything, including the speed.)

Edited by HenryH

28 minutes ago, HenryH said:

(like when Veterans, Old-timers say    [Welcome to our Forum!] )

I'm sorry if this is a problem, but we genuinely try to be nice when people join our community.

We try to do our best to help folks, but there are required steps and information that we need, in order to help you, otherwise all we can do is guess.

That's why we wanted the Diagnostics information.  Nine out of 10 people usually comply with this simple request.  Otherwise how can we know?

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

40 minutes ago, HenryH said:

i have some suggestions about (moderator(s) and Old-timers) making requests and sending "polite" PM's.

If you have suggestions, feel free to share them.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

@HenryH Since it was me that sent the message and subsequent email to you, I want to say that I am sorry it came across as a "Problematic request and a patronizing PM" because that was not my intention.

But, since you have raised the matter publicly here, I want to make a few observations...

1. We (the admins, the moderators, and pretty much everyone on the forum) do genuinely want to try to help when people ask How-to questions or report buggy behaviour in paint.net, as you did.

The image corruption you reported in "When i do (Adjustments) [Invert Colors] for the first time, it fails maybe 70--90% of the time" needs investigation since it is not the way that paint.net should behave and, as you reported, the corruption is also being saved in the image file. This is a serious problem.

2. Four people took the time to respond to your bug report, made suggestions and asked you to post the paint.net diagnostics. You raised a concern about it containing personal information but were given an assurance that it did not and were informed how you could look at the text to confirm this if you wanted to.

But you made no reply at all.

3. Rick had previously said "If you do not reply with the requested information then I will have to lock this post. We cannot make further progress without it."

I waited a few more days and noted that you were still active in other parts of the forum. So, rather than just lock the post, which would prevent you responding, I sent you this PM:

Hi HenryH

Could I just check whether you plan on posting the paint.net Diagnostic text in your Troubleshooting & Bug Reports thread "When i do (Adjustments) [Invert Colors] for the first time, it fails maybe 70--90% of the time".

We are keen to understand and resolve this problem but can proceed no further without the Diagnostic text (which, as you have been assured, contains no personal info).

If you don't plan on posting, then we'll close the thread.

Thanks.

4. I waited a few more days and noted that, although you continued to be active on the forum, the status indicator said that you had not read the above message.

Thinking that you were unaware that messages could be sent via the forum or had maybe not seen the 'You have a message' indicator, I sent you this email:

Hi HenryH

Please could you read the message that was sent to you on the paint.net forum. Click the envelope icon.

Many thanks

Tactilis

Af3GQ6ty0XFcNKHv.png

5. The message status then changed to say that you had read it. But you did not reply. That felt a little rude because of all the efforts that people had gone to to help you.

6. I gave it a day longer and then I locked the post, leaving a note explaining why the bug is not being investigated.

7. With regard to your:

(observation 0.   a self-claimed [polite PM] is almost-always not so.)

I believed (and still do) that my PM and email to you were polite. I do not think they are patronizing.

I respect that your views may differ.

8. And regarding your:

(... like when Veterans, Old-timers say [Welcome to our Forum!] )

Actually they generally say: "Welcome to the forum".

The distinction is important, so please don't misquote people's words.

I'll back my statement up:

A Google search of: site:https://forums.getpaint.net "welcome to the forum"
gives 2,100 hits

Whereas a search of: site:https://forums.getpaint.net "welcome to our forum"

gives just 8 hits (7 plus your 1 in the post above)
The 7 are:
     1 in 2008
     2 in 2009
     1 in 2018
     1 in 2019
     2 in 2020

I think that welcoming new posters to this forum is a friendly thing to do. A lot of people respond with "thanks for the welcome" or similar, so I'm not sure what the problem is with doing this.

I have taken the time to write all of the above because I would prefer you not to misrepresent what I wrote to you and what other people write on the forum.

If you would like the "When i do (Adjustments) [Invert Colors] for the first time, it fails maybe 70--90% of the time" post unlocked so you can post the diagnostics, then please say so and you'll get as much help as we can provide.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Tactilis said:

Actually they generally say: "Welcome to the forum".

I generally say this whenever responding to a first-time poster. It is a polite and friendly greeting, which I geniunely mean.

• Upvote 1