Bounding Rectangle - Hypotenuse Length

Go to solution Solved by Ego Eram Reputo,

I may have lost my mind.  A few days ago, I could swear that the bottom info line at the bottom of a screen for a bounding rectangle was showing me (from left to right) (a) the coordinates of the top-left of the rectangle, (b) the dimensions of the rectangle (horizontal and vertical lengths), (c) the length (diagonal) of the hypotenuse of the rectangle, and then (d) the area of the bounding rectangle.  Now, I don't see the hypotenuse.

Did I just imagine seeing the length of the hypotenuse?  If not, where did it go, and how do I get it back?  Having that info readily-available would be damned handy.

Thanks.

Edited by HankP
clarify

• Solution

Unless Rick has slipped it in recently....I've never seen/noticed hypotenuse.

That is a shame.  It would be darn handy.  As is, when I need to measure the pixel distance between two points (which is fairly often), I have to pull-up the calculator and go all Pythagoras on it, using the lengths of the two legs.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HankP said:

(c) the length (diagonal) of the hypotenuse of the rectangle

Do you see Diagonal in the Status bar? When any shape is drawn, there is Size x,y and Diagonal.
But as soon as you finish (pressed enter, deselect or any other action like switching tools) that information is gone.

28 minutes ago, HankP said:

I have to pull-up the calculator and go all Pythagoras on it, using the lengths of the two legs.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/26236-measure-selection-tools-effect/

I haven't used it but may be worth a try.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

31 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

Do you see Diagonal in the Status bar? When any shape is drawn, there is Size x,y and Diagonal.

I think we are getting there.  What tool are you using that gives you the diagonal measurement?  Because I have tried rectangle select, lasso select and ellipse select.  All three give me the X and Y measurements of the bounding rectangle and the surface area.  None is giving me the diagonal measurement of the bounding rectangle.

Thanks.

27 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

I will try that, if I can get it installed.  I have the Microsoft Store version (I wish I had never done that, BTW).  The plugin instructions say to put some of the unzipped files in the Effects folder, which I have done.  It says to put other files in the installation folder.  Since I am using the MS Store version, the app is NOT installed in the Program files, and I cannot determine WHERE to copy the files that would be copied to the installation directory in the Classic version of the app.  Where do I copy those files?

35 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

Shapes (below Text and Line / Curve tools) and then pick a Rectangle (or any shape, they all show Diagonal of the bounding box).

Gotcha.  So, a drawing tool, rather than a selection tool.  Of course, you can still use it for measuring.  just draw the rectangle over the area that you want to measure, get the length of the hypotenuse and then delete the shape.

Thx.

Rick:

How hard would it be to just add the length of the hypotenuse/diagonal in the status bar for selection tools.  Since you are already displaying the X and Y values, you clearly have the data readily available to calculate the hypotenuse, but would it be hard to display it?

Thx,

Hank

Edited by HankP
  • Upvote 1