Paint.net plug-in to create a spriteatlas (aka spritetexture or spritesheet) for games

BdR

Is there a Paint.net plugin to create a spriteatlas (aka spritetexture or spritesheet)? A sprite atlas is used in game development, and it's a single image that contain several smaller images of game objects, sprites, enemies, particles, animations etc. Instead of loading many tiny images a game typically uses a sprite atlas so it can be loaded as a single texture, which improves loading time and game performance.

So I mean a plugin that takes several images, or maybe the layers of an image, and neatly packs it into a spriteatlas/sprite texture, plus generate the accompanying coordinates file.

I had already created a similar plug-in for GIMP, see here:

https://github.com/BdR76/GimpSpriteAtlas

Is something like that available for Paint.net? Or a related question, where do I start if I want to develop a plugin for Paint.net?

spriteatlas_summary.png

That's not quite the same, I think those are called sprite sheets, what I meant was create a sprite atlas from images that can have different sizes.

Spritesheet : all same size, same width/height
Sprite atlas/texture : different sizes, mixed widths/heights

Not sure if those are the correct terms, but that's I've seen it used in the Phaser game library and the TexturePacker tool.

Edited by BdR

This would be very handy for me. I often print images of different sizes in one page so they can latter be cut by the kids at school. I try to use as much as possible the empty spaces on a sheet of paper. @BdR I hope you can bring it to Paint.Net.

welsh-Yellow-cheddar-cheese-signature.pn

On 2/8/2023 at 5:31 AM, BdR said:

where do I start if I want to develop a plugin for Paint.net?

CodeLab 👍

BoltBait has written a number of excellent, comprehensive tutorials to get you started.....https://boltbait.com/pdn/codelab/help/

Co-Author Toe_head has the definitive layman's guide here: 

On 2/8/2023 at 2:07 PM, Welsh Yellow Cheddar said:

This would be very handy for me. I often print images of different sizes in one page so they can latter be cut by the kids at school. I try to use as much as possible the empty spaces on a sheet of paper. @BdR I hope you can bring it to Paint.Net.

fyi you can already do something like this using the website below. You can Drag & drop your images (all at once) in the page and then click "save" to export the new image:

Leshy SpriteSheet Tool - Online Sprite Sheet & Texture Atlas Packer (leshylabs.com)

• Hooray 1