Request: Keyboard shortcuts for all interface buttons

I just bought a elgato Stream Deck and I’d like to replicate the menu items and buttons on the tools/layers/etc windows on the buttons.  For example “Move Layer Down” “Move Layer Up”  layer “Flip Vertical” and image “Flip Vertical”. Ideally there would be an interface to map the commands to custom key strokes but even static keystrokes would be great. 

Note: at first the multiple keys presses were an issue and I was going to request alternate keystrokes  (e.g. pressing “Select Rectangle (m)” then “Select Lasso (m,m)” could switch to “Select Ellipse (m,m,m)”  but I figured out a work around using “Super Macro” from BarRaider (add {SELECT} before the keys: {{SELECT}{m}{m}} for Select Lasso).stream-deck-xl.png

There is an exhaustive list of keyboard shortcuts here https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/KeyboardMouseCommands.html

Those appear to be the shortcuts already visible in the interface. If you look for the examples I listed (e.g. flip vertical/horizontal for either image or layer) you will see they are not there. 

Edited by mileso
Missing word

On 2/12/2021 at 3:29 AM, mileso said:

If you look for the examples I listed (e.g. flip vertical/horizontal for either image or layer) you will see they are not there. 

That's right. There are no shortcuts currently assigned to these.

Alt+I, H <-- that will activate Image -> Flip Horizontal

Look at what's underlined when you use the keyboard to activate the menus. That will tell you the accelerator keys.

• You're a Smart Cookie! 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

On 2/10/2021 at 1:20 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

There is an exhaustive list of keyboard shortcuts here https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/KeyboardMouseCommands.html

On 2/11/2021 at 7:27 AM, Zagna said:

If you press Alt, you can access more keyboard shortcuts.

alt.png.08d24b3ab675ac03d678a9445789736b.png

For example there I pressed Alt+I open Image and from there you can do Flip Horizontal by pressing H. The underlined letter in each action is what you want.

Thank you. I should of thought of that. It is little clunky but it should work well enough. 

Still missing a couple of important commands from the context tool bar like Flood Mode and Sampling. Selection Quality, Blending Mode and Antialiasing would be useful too. 

I switch back forth between Sampling and Flood Mode quite often and it would really help if I did not have to use the mouse every time. 

Flood mode has the Shift key which forces the opposite mode from the one you're in.

Global fill mode

Hold Shift in Contiguous mode

Contiguous fill mode

Hold Shift in Global mode

Similarly, the Ctrl button forces Sampling from Composite Image when in Layer mode (but not the reverse).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I often switch between Global and Contiguous e.g. Color Picker global and then Fill contiguous. It is frustrating to have leave the image and click on the tool bar button. This will save me a lot of time (and frustration).  

To refine criticism, I feel like the flip horizontal and vertical tools are essential enough in some applications to need an easier access than just the Alt menu. Not sure if its a matter of keyboard real estate but especially in drawn art, you will be flipping your art around hundreds of times to ensure that it looks right from both sides and isnt off balance.
If it is keyboard real estate then I think there are quite a few tools that would be less deserving of ease of access shortcuts than the flip tools. Id understand if you dont want to radically change someone's workflow by removing a hotkey they use though.