Defining a number of colors in a BMP file

I recently saw on a video that it is possible to convert a jpg image into bmp file into only 3 colors, namely black white and red.

As I tried to find out to do it on the net, I couldn't find anything about that. 

Being new to paint.net I wonder if someone can help me with this.

Thanks for the reply Pyrochild,

I have downloaded the set of plugins and trying them, fabulous work there. However, making a BMP image with specifically the colors I need (black, white and red) doesn't seem to be there or I am not looking and trying them correctly.  Your image of trump look like the three colors I need but it is all kind of red and white. I need only 'pure' red (255), pure white and pure black. how can it be done?

Thx a lot

For the image I use as an example: 

1. Use @MadJik's Majority Color plugin, select "Reduce to primal colors". 

4ymsOJp.png

2. Use the Recolor Tool to recolour the yellow and blue to black, white or red. (For help on using the Recolor Tool, @Ego Eram Reputo has written a short and to-the-point tutorial).

Example of yellow and blue recoloured red:

YrGVkpx.png

Example of yellow and blue recoloured white:

lezELNF.png

Remember, each image is unique and what works for one may not work for another. If the method described here works for your image, fine. If not, then you'll need to show us an example of the original image and the intended result to receive more help.

You may also appreciate the knowledge shared by @ReMake in his Hope Portrait tutorial.

Xkds4Lh.png

5 hours ago, Djisves said:

For the image I use as an example: 

1. Use @MadJik's Majority Color plugin, select "Reduce to primal colors". 

4ymsOJp.png

2. Use the Recolor Tool to recolour the yellow and blue to black, white or red. (For help on using the Recolor Tool, @Ego Eram Reputo has written a short and to-the-point tutorial).

Example of yellow and blue recoloured red:

YrGVkpx.png

Example of yellow and blue recoloured white:

lezELNF.png

Remember, each image is unique and what works for one may not work for another. If the method described here works for your image, fine. If not, then you'll need to show us an example of the original image and the intended result to receive more help.

You may also appreciate the knowledge shared by @ReMake in his Hope Portrait tutorial.

Nice portrait of the President Trump 🙂

But it is not what I meant. I took some screenshot of the video:

MonaLisa.jpg

That's why I wrote...

7 hours ago, Djisves said:

you'll need to show us an example of the original image and the intended result to receive more help.

I don't have a solution off the top of my head for this result but it's an interesting challenge. I'll let you know if I figure something out.

In the meantime, now that we know what you're after, someone more knowledgable may offer all of us a way to achieve this.

9 hours ago, gi66 said:

I need only 'pure' red (255), pure white and pure black.

BTW, none of the colours in your example are "pure".

Edited by Djisves

Xkds4Lh.png

4 hours ago, gi66 said:

monalisa2.jpg

Try this plugin:

ThreeColorDithering.zip

See if that is what you're looking for...

image.png

Personally, I like the picture with higher contrast. To better simulate the effect you're going for, I suggest reducing the contrast and adjusting the brightness to taste.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Vagabondi said:

Why is the effect unpublished? Deserves attention...

This is just a temporary solution I coded up for the OP of this thread to see if it is what he's looking for.

I do this type of thing often.

If the plugin is useful, I will either add it to my plugin pack or more likely simply add this algorithm to my existing Effects > Stylize > F-S Dithering plugin.

• Upvote 1