Is there a Doom Palette available?

Hello, I'm a doom modder and have been using paint.net to make all of my art for a while now, and I want to know where I can find a version of the doom palette made for pdn. This is so that way I can make better sprites that are compatible with vanilla doom and not have to walk in a minefield and guess what will work with the palette and what doesn't.

I also checked the "Post your palette" thread and didnt see anything. Any help is appreciated. 

Hi @PSI_Boredom - welcome to the forum.

There isn't a Doom palette as far as I know. Doom uses up to 256 colors simultaneously. Paint.net palettes have only 96 shades per palette, so a full Doom palette is going to be 2.5 paint.net palettes.

If you Google it you'll find plenty of examples e.g.

Doompalette.gif

What you might be better doing is pasting the above image into a separate PDN image and using it as your reference guide (K is the keyboard shortcut to the color picker tool ;) )

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Hi @PSI_Boredom - welcome to the forum.

There isn't a Doom palette as far as I know. Doom uses up to 256 colors simultaneously. Paint.net palettes have only 96 shades per palette, so a full Doom palette is going to be 2.5 paint.net palettes.

If you Google it you'll find plenty of examples e.g.

What you might be better doing is pasting the above image into a separate PDN image and using it as your reference guide (K is the keyboard shortcut to the color picker tool ;) )

Thanks, I was trying to see if a palette was available for pdn so that way I could use technorobo's palette matcher plugin and not have to color pick 100 times but I guess its fine. Hope pdn supports larger palettes like Doom's in the future. Also, thanks for the welcome.

I had made Premade Palette filter for gmic-qt (a plugin for PDN) a long time ago. It does have doom palette, and you can insert it into canvas. Not sure if this sounds useful for you. If it does, then you'll find it under Testing->Reptorian.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

I am away from this forum for undetermined amount of time: If you really need anything related to my PDN plugin or my G'MIC filter within G'MIC plugin, then you can contact me via Paint.NET discord, and mention me.

Admins Note: This plugin is not completely compatible with the latest versions of paint.net (beyond 4.0.12).

That's what happened.

G'MIC Filter Developer

I am away from this forum for undetermined amount of time: If you really need anything related to my PDN plugin or my G'MIC filter within G'MIC plugin, then you can contact me via Paint.NET discord, and mention me.

3 hours ago, nitenurse79 said:

... I have it installed (PDN 4.2.14) and it works fine.

The key word in the admin note is not completely. That is to say, it mostly works.

You can see my comments about compatibility here:

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/15318-palette-from-image-tool-20091111/?do=findComment&comment=523376

I might be be able to make a patched version with compatibility fixes. I'll take a look in the next few days.

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab