.zip folder is empty when trying to install free version

I've tried to download the free version of Paint.net on my new laptop a bunch of times. Each time (regardless of whether I click "open", "save" or "save as") the .zip folder which should contain the download file is empty. Has anyone else experienced this or know what I can do to fix it please?

• toe_head2001 changed the title to .zip folder is empty when trying to install free version

Where did you download it from?

If not ^ there then chances are it is the download source you used, although it is a very strange problem wherever you found it.

Its not impossible that your anti-virus even deleted the content when you tried to open it if the download contained something dodgy.

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png

@Marnzzz999 Welcome to the forum :)

Yeah - like @IHaveNoName - I think it could be an aggressive anti-virus.  You don't have Norton by any chance?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

57 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

I don't see the actual command needed to open ZIP files "Extract"

After the .zip archive is downloaded, you 'right click' on it to open a menu that gives you options to  'Extract' and 'Open with', along with a few other choices.

He should have just used "Open", at the top of the right click context menu. That should open any Zip/RAR archive in Windows Explorer with the contents visible and able to be copied elsewhere.

I'm bothered about the OP's description of the options offered too. If its a Zip/RAR folder or any other folder there should be no Save or Save As option, only Copy or Cut. If the archived had been opened in Windows Explorer you'd have Copy To and Move To options instead.

Can't work out what he is doing wrong, if anything; extracting the contents from a compressed folder is a very basic task and not that much to go wrong.

I'd recommended installing 7Zip - if it is a Zip/RAR or other compressed archive using that from the context menu, instead of Open or Open with, should negate any possibility of user error.  

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png