Sign in to follow this  
FanofSMBX

"Nearest Neighbor" scaling in Resize Image vs. Drag Selection is buggy

I would like to report an apparent glitch with the Resize Image "Nearest Neighbor" algorithm when downscaling.

As you can see in this image, the sprite I am downscaling is symmetrical, though I have no doubt this could affect the downscaling of nonsymmetrical sprites as well. When I downscaled the sprite (shown here rescaled for detail) from 14x16 to 12x16, it lost its symmetricality, which seems like a glitch. Oddly enough, the apparently different Nearest Neighbor algorithm used for scaling selections does not have this glitch.

If this behavior is not intended and you need more examples, I will be happy to help as I use Paint.NET for pixel art all the time.

If you can make a video to show this, that would help a lot.

You won't necessarily get the same results with Image->Resize vs. Move Selected Pixels if what you're selecting and transforming is not the entire image.

I would think that using a 'Nearest Neighbor' algorithm would compensate for the fact that you cannot have half a pixel.

5 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

If you can make a video to show this, that would help a lot.

You won't necessarily get the same results with Image->Resize vs. Move Selected Pixels if what you're selecting and transforming is not the entire image.

Here you go:

18 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

Can you also attach the image that you're using?

Here you go. This image is horizontally symmetric, so that's how I could tell that if the downscaled image to 12 pixels wide, which is a multiple of two like 14 is, was not symmetric then that seemed like an issue.

sluggula3.png

Okay thanks for the video and the image! I'll look into this for 4.1.7, and I'll reply to this post when it's resolved

I love puzzles and this thread has one indeed!

I tested the effects on symmetry of the icon by using horizontal pixel reduction using the resize feature of PDN.
I three cases using the resize feature on the image; from 14 x 16 px to 12 x 16 px; resulted in the destruction of veritical bi-lateral symmetry.

I resized by using Nearest Neighbor, Bilinear, and Bicubic Interpolation and got the same result.

When I resized the icon by dragging across two pixels inward along its vertical axis; bi-lateral symmetry was maintained but the color count increased from 8 colors to 75 colors.

Edited by HyReZ
Correcting spelling and adding more nfo!