a question about dimensions

AnnieBeau

I am trying to design an image to have printed on t shrts. New to paint.net and I cant figure out the dimensions when I try to create a new image.

the print company would like the design to be  a maximum of 32 x 50 cm - 300 PPI png.

The problem I have is when I input the print size of 30 x 50 cm, the resolution and pixel size is auto adjusting to al sorts of numbers!

The logo I am creating just now will fit on a print area of 9 inches x 3 inches. But when I input the 300 dpi it alters the print size.

2 minutes ago, AnnieBeau said:

But when I input the 300 dpi it alters the print size. 

Yes, of course. You're cramming more of the image's pixels into a smaller area.

So, if you want to print at 300 DPI, your image will require more pixels (more resolution).

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

More grist for the mill.
Set your dimensions to 9 inches x 3 inches and you leave the resolution at the default (96) and here is why:

• Like 1

Stacking the deck:
(Your printing service tech my not know the difference)
Where I live I have my printing done at Fast Signs and the tech at my location is brilliant. All of my work is saved at the default resolution!

Edited by HyReZ

47 minutes ago, AnnieBeau said:

Thanks Ill submit it at 96 and see what the print house say

It will look terrible. Trust me.

30 x 50 cm => 12 x 20 inches (give or take) @ 300 DPI gives you an image size of 3600 x 6000 pixels. Simply redraw the image on a canvas this size and submit that.

4 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

30 x 50 cm => 12 x 20 inches (give or take) @ 300 DPI gives you an image size of 3600 x 6000 pixels. Simply redraw the image on a canvas this size and submit that.

Producing a scaled up (larger) image than you need for output is a great idea, but BPI and pixels are are not the same, as they are used to serve very different viewing mediums. The confusion arises because  image editing apps are designed to produce images that will be used for viewing on screens as well as printed to papers and films. One media uses pixels & sub pixels while the other uses drops of inks on a surface. One uses RGB while the other uses CMYK. It gets confusing but the differences are real. Many of my digital projects start at ~25 Megapixels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch
@AnnieBeau 
Good Luck with your project.

Edited by HyReZ
to add more nfo