Plug Ins are not working for me

Recently bought a new computer. Installed Paint.net in Windows 10 (have used it for many years), installed a few plug ins. Worked fine.

Then magically today the installed plug ins are gone.

Re-installed plug ins as the directions.

They are in the effects file

After installing I closed down and restarted the computer

Plug ins do not show up when I start paint.

There is trouble shooting asking to unlock files if they don't show up. I tried following the directions but my computer does not show me a way to unlock - instructions say to find Unlock under general in each file - I do not have "general" - I do not have unlock.

I find it unusual that I had no trouble until today, and suddenly it all stopped working. Now I only have the very basic use of Paint  no .dlls will operate as it is, shape is in it's own file in the Paint.net file directory and it does not work either.

I'd love to use it again. I am on a Dell Inspiron, windows 10  thanks!

1 hour ago, G Ward said:

Installed Paint.net in Windows 10

Store or Classic version? I ask because the Store version has a different location for plugins, see https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html#4

Classic version, which I should add that some plugins initially worked but slowly disappeared. I had outline object and text tools that were there and disappeared, then outline went and the rest of the adds I'd made were gone. I had been using them and didn't change anything .... I have McAffe.

Edited by G Ward

Did the plugins just disappeared from the menus within paint.net, or did the .dll files also disappear from the paint.net/Effects folder too?

1 hour ago, G Ward said:

I have McCaffe.

Ah yes, the McCafé from McDonald's. :lol:

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

The .dll's are all still there. Only Shapes had a self contained folder. I've tried moving them into both effects and file types, and Shapes started in the general directory as it's own file before I moved it. Not able to see any of these when the program is open.

Boltbait, I appreciate your advice, but I don't want to go naked. I'm not attached to McAfee (and I hate Norton) - but I don't have an alternative yet. I'm just on a freebee for a few more days with this cheeseburger.....just go with the Windows Defender?

Windows ships with a free virus scanner.  It is called Defender.  Use that.

Defender is a good virus scanner.  It is not showy, like Norton or McAfee... it just does it's job.

All major virus scanner companies share their database of virus signatures--this includes Defender.  So, the protection is all the same.  The difference between them is how annoying they are.

On a scale from Defender to Norton, McAfee is about right in the middle.

27 minutes ago, G Ward said:

Fatal error 1603

Somehow your paint.net installation became broken. You can use this utility to remove the broken installation:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Afterwards, you can install paint.net anew.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

^^ before you do that, try running PdnRepair.exe. You'll find it in you PDN folder.

Thanks everyone, and thanks Ego Eram Reputo - I was able to fix the problem, and then find the million weird replications of broken files of Paint.net and remove them all and do an entirely fresh installation of everything and we're up and running!